VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeing the 2009 TDI sedan. I've driven the car an like it alot. I was about to buy it when my wife pointed out that we really could use the space of the wagon (3 kids). The dealer doesn't have a wagon on the lot, and my current car is dying - so I need to make a decision fast.

Can anyone comment on the differences b/w the sedan and wagon, particularly re MPG and acceleration? Shoul I expec to lose much fuel efficiency and pickup in the wagon? At the VW site they list both bodies as having the same weight. This seems odd to me, and would imply similar performance I would think.

Lastly, re options. I don't want nav or sunroof, and I am thinking only about bluetooth and ipod adapter. Anyone have these and have comments on quality and usability? Also, do larger wheels do anything for MGP or acceleration?

Thanks

JB

·
Registered
482 Posts
They are the same. By my guess, the sedan has an extra bulkhead at the trunk and the wagon has more glass. I don't have the 2009 but the ipod adapter is panned by everyone, especially for the price. If you want an ipod adapter, go aftermarket. There are also aftermarket bluetooths.

Have you seen Chitty's 2010 model year guide? The 2010 wagon gets the next generation look and bluetooth and the multifunction steering wheel are standard. What I like is that the antenna is finally in the glass so you can use the roof rack for long items.

Larger wheels hurt mpg est. 2 mpg. Part of this is also the larger tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Great, so it looks like I'll want the wagon and without anything (if they have any of those).

I read the 2010 guide and the new models sound better-but I don't think I can wait that long.

Appreciate your response.

JB

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Some more details on what they said: larger wheels increase the moment of inertia. Shorter sidewall tires use thicker sidewalls to stand up to the flex. More aggressive tires also tend to use more aggressive tread patterns and compounds. All this reduces mpg.

If you can wait for the 2010 wagon, the bluetooth and MFSW fixed the only major complaints I had. The refreshed look should also help resale value. And judging by past wagons, the wagons hold their resale value better than the sedans due to supply/demand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Waitnig for 2010 wagon

Thanks again for the info.

Any idea when they will get the 2010s in stock? And price-I haven't seen anything on expected price. I guess the other benefit would be that once the 2010 comes out the 2009 might need to be discounted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMO, the price will probably go up $200-500. Then again, if there's really deflation then maybe not. And don't forget that dealers can always cut the price if they are willing to work with you. If you want a wagon, I don't think you are going to get a massive deal on a 2009 since the dealer knows it's going to sell sooner or later!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
makes sense

I want a stripped down wagon and they can't find any. They are saying this is the last of the 2009s and it will be July before they can order the 2010s, with another 8-12 weeks for delivery. I'm thinking of waiting though instead of taking and paying for nav/sunroof when I don't really want them.

I guess the other issue is the whole first year of a new design thing - if there were any issues with the 2009 they hopefully have fixed them in the 2010 models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I gotta tell ya...I absolutely love the 09 wagen! It is much quicker than I would expect from this type of car, especially considering the mpg. The only questionable item is the DSG for me. It takes some getting used to and can be a little surge prone from a dead stop. It is completely livable but I am not sold on it yet. I am a long time Audi guy and they have been hyping DSG since it's release. It is pretty slick technology for sure but it is not without its sacrifices...weight, powertrain loss, maintenance expense. My wife has elbow issues so we had to opt for the DSG otherwise we'd be in a manual with no complaints. The car, as a complete package is pretty compelling. This is my first diesel and I am very impressed. Can't wait for the new version to hit the Audi line up, I may have to consider selling my coveted TT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Skip bluetooth and iPod adapter. There are simple solutions available. The new bluetooth speakerphones are awesome...pair it, clip it to the visor and forget it. They are very, very functional. I have two of the Jabra's...1 in the TT and 1 in the VW...you can't beat them. Re the iPod adapter, I use the AUX input and plug it into a cig lighter adapter/controller. It charges it and allows you to play/pause, FF and RW the iPod. I ditch the iPod under the armrest. Low cost and functional enough for most of us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts