VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that TDI's in CA with the 16" bioline rims have Dunlop tires.

The TDI's in NC with 16" bioline rims have Conti's while others have Hankook.

Is this a dealer ordering thing? Or does VW manufacture the Jettas and send them out with whatever tires are in stock at the factory?

What tires did your TDI come with?
Where/when did you buy your TDI?
Do you have the 16" or 17" wheels?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't think the dealers order them, it's just whatever's in stock. I remember someone said theirs had bridgestone turanzas

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a different tire if you ordered 16" vs. 17".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires on 17" SW

My Sportwagan TDI, delivered a month ago, has Continental tires on the 17 rims. My salesman said that we would not know which tires until the car arrived.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think the dealers order them, it's just whatever's in stock. I remember someone said theirs had bridgestone turanzas

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a different tire if you ordered 16" vs. 17".
My JSW was delivered in March 2009. I have the 16" Ditto wheels. Vehicle came with the Bridgestone Turanzas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My TDI Sedan bought on July 31 came with Hankook Optima H725A on 16'' inch standard tdi wheels. East coast, Baltimore, MD. Tires are Made In China. Is it possible that the dealer replaced the factory tires with these ones? :dunno

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My TDI Sedan bought on July 31 came with Hankook Optima H725A on 16'' inch standard tdi wheels. East coast, Baltimore, MD. Tires are Made In China. Is it possible that the dealer replaced the factory tires with these ones? :dunno
I saw a salsa red 2010 TDI sedan at a dealer in Charlotte, NC today. It also had Hankook tires. A different dealer in the same town had Conti's on a 2009 just a month ago. I managed to drive the 2010 today and I think the Hankook's were giving off less road noise. The handling was okay, but not sporty.

I don't think the dealer switched tires. I believe that the dealers can order a different level of tire on these cars... $25 per tire makes a $100 difference to their bottom line. Hankook and Conti price differences dictate this logic. But it's still just a theory of mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have, 2010 Sedan with 16"s Hankooks, Perilli in the trunk, nothing wrong with them so far, nice quite, haven't pushed them though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made the jump and got a 2010 TDI sedan with manual. It has the standard 16" bioline wheels and I picked it up in South Carolina.

It has Hankook tires, and I discovered that they are made in China.

Given the new 30% tariff on tires from China, VW will probably switch to something else.

http://www.topgearage.com - photos and Fuelly stats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hankook Optimo 725 Tires rated in Consumner Reports

Hi:

My nephew got Consumer Reports on friday and told me the Hancook Optimo 725's were listed very high (2nd) by consumers for all season touring tires.
They sell on tire rack for $104 compared to like $108.00 for the Bridgestones that are on some 2010 Jettas. The Michelin MXV4 Primacy is $125.00 and were on my daughters 2003 Jetta. She got 48,000 miles out of them. I replaced them with General Altimax tires. The General and MXV4 were rated number 2 and number 1 respectively by Tire Rack for sport tires.

However, the Hancook might be rollig resistant tires which may be better for mpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts