VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that the TDI is a diesel, and that I've seen many diesel trucks idle for hours on end (prior to the new emissions rules for big trucks), is it harmful to idle a TDI engine for, say, 1 hour?

If I make a long road trip this summer, and decide to pull over for a few hours to get some rest at a rest stop, would I be causing any harm to idle and keep the A/C on? Let's say 1-3 hours?

I know, it's a ridiculous question. But somebody must have tried at least 45 minutes in bad traffic or something similar?

If I'm in 90+ degree heat in the middle of the night, a little A/C would sure be nice! I'm talking a 600 mile road trip... so a hotel is kinda pointless.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes. Big rigs are different, their engines are designed to idle for hours and don't rev very high anyways. An engine needs heat and running to prevent sooty buildups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A few hours of idling isn't great but it's better than sitting in 90 degree heat at night. Besides, the highway driving will burn up any soot buildup. Go for it. Just make sure to get enough sleep and stay rested!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts