VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4289429.html?page=7

The VW Jetta TDI clean diesel proves you don't have to purchase a hybrid to get good fuel efficiency. In fact, on a recent marathon PM economy test, we achieved 32 mpg city in a new Jetta TDI. Better still, the Jetta delivered 45.4 mpg on a similar all-highway PM fuel-economy test—beating even the EPA highway mpg rating of the Prius. But the most impressive aspect of the TDI isn't its fuel-saving ability. It's that torque-rich and nearly silent rush of power. Shift the Jetta's DSG twin-clutch transmission into Sport mode, and this smart gearbox automatically downshifts on long grades. You never get the feeling you've compromised acceleration for fuel economy. In fact, this car is actually fun to drive. Best of all, the Jetta TDI is eligible for a federal tax credit of $1300. That buys an awful lot of diesel fuel.
and from autoblog

This is the time of the year for awards, as pretty much all of the 2009 models are out in the open and journalists have had a bit of time to digest each and every model against its competitors. Such is the case at Popular Mechanics, which has just released its annual Automotive Excellence Awards. This year, as you might imagine, an emphasis is being placed on fuel efficient vehicles, and our friends at PM realize this fact and have handed out an award for fuel efficiency. The winner? Volkswagen's Jetta TDI, the first 50-state legal diesel vehicle sold in the U.S. since the latest and most stringent set of emissions regulations have been implemented. The Jetta was compared directly with the fuel economy leader, the Toyota Prius, and the editors found that the Jetta was nearly as efficient as its rival on the highway along with being more fun to drive in their eyes. Next year, the Jetta will have tough competition in the form of a brand-new Prius along with a new Insight hybrid from Honda. Let the games begin!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, I've written it before. The Jetta drives much better than a Prius. And in the buyer's guide, I quote an autoweek article that also said this: For comfort, quiet and highway handling, our drivers found the TDI had significant advantages over every other car in the test. It would have been our choice, in other words, for an easy daytrip on the interstates, regardless of fuel economy. And we topped the hybrids by driving with just a little attention to fuel economy, not making it an obsession."

Looks are subjective but good handling is not. Ride comfort is subjective but good handling isn't.

And if you can't tell the difference than it shouldn't be a factor. If you go drive a prius and a jetta back to back and you can't tell the difference then to you, then there is effectively no difference in handling. Get the car which looks better to you, is more affordable to you, and matches your driving style and needs.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Maybe the Toy-yoda might look better in Japan but for the US, the Jetta looks better. PS, watch out for Toy-yodas

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Yes, I've written it before. The Jetta drives much better than a Prius. And in the buyer's guide, I quote an autoweek article that also said this: For comfort, quiet and highway handling, our drivers found the TDI had significant advantages over every other car in the test. It would have been our choice, in other words, for an easy daytrip on the interstates, regardless of fuel economy. And we topped the hybrids by driving with just a little attention to fuel economy, not making it an obsession."

Looks are subjective but good handling is not. Ride comfort is subjective but good handling isn't.

And if you can't tell the difference than it shouldn't be a factor. If you go drive a prius and a jetta back to back and you can't tell the difference then to you, then there is effectively no difference in handling. Get the car which looks better to you, is more affordable to you, and matches your driving style and needs.
Do you have a link for the article? I'd like to read it.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
You know, I have a friend with a Prius and it doesn't feel that slow. It's not fast but acceleration is similar to a TDI with about 90-100 horsepower. It's torque that moves you and the electric motor is pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
FWIW, I'd read that there will be a new Jetta in 2011. Since the 2010 Golf is already in the new generation, it might be worth it to wait and see what the new body looks like.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
FWIW, I'd read that there will be a new Jetta in 2011. Since the 2010 Golf is already in the new generation, it might be worth it to wait and see what the new body looks like.
I dont know why people always say that, something else will be better the year after that. Then you'll never get a car. And the last few years of a body are when they've worked out the bugs.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I dont know why people always say that, something else will be better the year after that. Then you'll never get a car. And the last few years of a body are when they've worked out the bugs.
2nd, the honda insight and new prius will also be out. I'd be willing to take a look at those too. If they had a station wagon option, that would be :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Why does VW always annouce product and then not deliver? The Jetta TDI was supposed to come out a while ago, the passat TDI is supposedly in the works *doubts it* and I read that the trike thing was coming then at the last second it was cancelled. And the 100+ mpg bullet thing is also cancelled and then brought back and then cancelled.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Why does VW always annouce product and then not deliver? The Jetta TDI was supposed to come out a while ago, the passat TDI is supposedly in the works *doubts it* and I read that the trike thing was coming then at the last second it was cancelled. And the 100+ mpg bullet thing is also cancelled and then brought back and then cancelled.
Welcome to VW ownership :nana2: That's just the way they do things. Maybe to give Autoblog something to write about? The canceled the trike because it's not safe nor would a lot of people buy it. Who is really going to buy the bullet thing? How many people are willing to buy a Lotus Elise? Very few. IMO, concentrate on making cars not toys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts