VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 20,000 mile dealer service, and they suggested an air filter change. Wanted $45 for the filter, so I figured I'd get my own and replace it. Got one from NAPA for $19.95 (and made in Germany), but when I compared it to the original VW filter, the NAPA filter did not have the white mesh pre-filter attached to the paper element. I wasn't too concerned, but later I remembered reading something about a water ingestion problem with the 2009 and later TDI's. I don't know where I read it now, but was wondering if this pre-filter on the VW filter was put there to address this issue? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The same air filter is used on all Jetta and Golf. The white mesh pre-filter is for the cold weather filter. It screens out any snow and prevents the paper from getting soaked. What's your location? Unless you expect snow filling the intake the other filter should be OK. Is this the water ingestion thread? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/cr-cold-weather-inspection-4197/ The way I see it, it's from condensation and moisture, not water or snow splashing through the intake snorkel. The air filter won't filter out that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the article I remembered reading. Thanks, Stefan, and I'm saving it this time. I'm in NC and we get very little snow down here, so if that's what the pre-filter was for, I'm not concerned. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TDI air filter

thanks for the info, I just changed my first filter and noticed the same thing. glad that the pre-filter is not that important in normal weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts