VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this question pop up on various forums so here is what you need to know.

The 2009 US spec TDI should only take ultra low sulfur diesel USLD due to the emissions treatments.

The law says that you can still SELL non USLD until Dec 2010 but no major refinery still makes non USLD or has for a while.

I haven't seen any non USLD in years and thought that was the case until someone mentioned that they saw a pump without the USLD sticker. Even if they don't have the sticker on the retail pump it's at worst, mostly USLD with a splash of old fuel. The only place you'll find the older fuel in any quantity is Mexico. Even still, I know that they had special USLD filling stations near the border.

I have also added this info to the 2009 Jetta TDI buyer's guide, the reader just has to find it and read it since I keep the page updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never even noticed the ulsd pump markings until a trip around christmas. At that time I was driving a new Dodge diesel truck and discovered that through the middle of the US there are ULSD pumps, LSD pumps and unmarked pumps. I hardly paid any attention til I saw one of the LSD pumps which stated that it could not be legally used in vehicles of 2007 and later. Whoops....
Not sure if the fuel complies with ULSD or not but there are still pumps out there marked for the low sulfur and unmarked pumps as well..

Frank

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never even noticed the ulsd pump markings until a trip around christmas. At that time I was driving a new Dodge diesel truck and discovered that through the middle of the US there are ULSD pumps, LSD pumps and unmarked pumps. I hardly paid any attention til I saw one of the LSD pumps which stated that it could not be legally used in vehicles of 2007 and later. Whoops....
Not sure if the fuel complies with ULSD or not but there are still pumps out there marked for the low sulfur and unmarked pumps as well..

Frank
Some places might have just not put the stickers on the pump. I doubt the pump attendants know anything about the fuel.

And refineries have stopped producing anything except USLD for a while so the only non LSD would be some leftover in the system that hasn't been totally diluted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any VW, Mercedes Benz, BMW, future Audi, or any other diesel is safe when it comes to USLD.

You just have to watch out for pumps that add bio, the 2009 is supposed to not get over 5%. There are plenty who are using over 5% biodiesel but any repairs might end up being on their dime or won't show up for a long time.

And older TDI are cool on any diesel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool thanks. I was reading on another forum that someone took a 2009 in for service and the dealer put gas in it :( Why not add a note to the buyer's guide to warn about this?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks. I was reading on another forum that someone took a 2009 in for service and the dealer put gas in it :( Why not add a note to the buyer's guide to warn about this?
I already put 3 separate notes in the 2009 jetta checklist. I will add something to warn about dealer service adding gasoline instead of diesel. Like taping a note that says "diesel" on the fueling cap.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So any 2009 is safe in the US?
Just don't put GASOLINE in it. I've seen pumps that didn't have the sticker but I never really paid attention to it since no 2009 here. People get worried over a few cetane points when US spec fuel has never really been up to VW's spec.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done, added a note that says tape a note over the fuel cap if you take it to the dealer. The keys go through a few hands and the guy who thinks he is doing you a favor is the one who will gas it up.

Also added a note that confirms the 2010 golf TDI. It'll use the same engine and as more details become available, it may become a separate article since it's an mk6 body car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
:thumbsup Even if it helps one person avoid a bad afternoon.

Done, added a note that says tape a note over the fuel cap if you take it to the dealer. The keys go through a few hands and the guy who thinks he is doing you a favor is the one who will gas it up.

Also added a note that confirms the 2010 golf TDI. It'll use the same engine and as more details become available, it may become a separate article since it's an mk6 body car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts