VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I have a 2007 Beetle with only (1) key/remote. The unlock function on the remote has failed and I have found a new one. Is there any way to program the new remote with only one key without going to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, take a look at this article: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-smart-key-remote-replacement.htm

Split the key and put on the new remote half. You must reuse the key half. The remote half has nothing to do with the immobilizer but you program it with the procedure listed. Good luck!

Also, edited thread title, I was wondering why this was in "other", because it's not a TDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help. I have read this article and unless I am missing something you need (2) keys, one for the ignition and a second to manually lock the door. I only have (1) key (blade) so I don't see how to do it unless I am completely dumb.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Ah, OK. Yes, you need to have 2 keys unless you have a VCDS tool. VCDS will cost more than 1 hour labor at dealer but tell them you only want to program a remote, not the whole thing and tell them 1/2 hour labor max. Seriously, it takes 5 minutes so if they want more than 1/2 hour, shop around for another dealer. Your profile location says USA, there should be plenty of dealers there :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts