VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

2006 TDI ignition stuck in the on position

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fwthompson 
#1 ·
My wife had issues getting the key to turn from the off position. After a while, it turned and the car started. Now the key is stuck in the on position and wont shut off. I pulled the fuel pump fuse then disconnected the negative battery terminal, so the car is off. Any ideas what might have happened and what I can do to get the key out?

#3 · (Edited)
I would totally agree with the spraying suggested by Erich. Be very gentle on turning the key, voice of experience. On my '99 Jetta TDI I used too much force and had to replace the whole lock cylinder, as I broke the little flat metal rod which connects the internal parts keeping the both sides together. As a result the key would turn but nothing happened on the other side to make electrical contact. Had to replace the entire cylinder system. No fun and expensive. The job took me two days.

I suspect that in my case something on the electrical contact side was binding and could not be turned by the key. Hopefully that is not the case with yours. There are You Tube Videos describing the change process. Would not have tried it without them.

Your key system seems identical to the '99, as I have an '06 also.

#7 ·
It sounds as if my car is in the same exact position as yours was. Is this something I can do myself? I don’t have a lot of money and my car don’t move. The battery is now to low and my jump back is exactly that a jump pack. Would you mind helping me out with your next steps so I can see if it’s something I’m capable of completing.

I would totally agree with the spraying suggested by Erich. Be very gentle on turning the key, voice of experience. On my '99 Jetta TDI I used too much force and had to replace the whole lock cylinder, as I broke the little flat metal rod which connects the internal parts keeping the both sides together. As a result the key would turn but nothing happened on the other side to make electrical contact. Had to replace the entire cylinder system. No fun and expensive. The job took me two days.

I suspect that in my case something on the electrical contact side was binding and could not be turned by the key. Hopefully that is not the case with yours. There are You Tube Videos describing the change process. Would not have tried it without them.

Your key system seems identical to the '99, as I have an '06 also.

#5 ·
I've tried the lube with no luck. Started taking everything apart and am currently stuck on the wiper and turn signal stalk removal. The shop manual says to slide a .040 feeler gauge along the side to undo the latching mechanism. So far, no luck. I will try again tomorrow with a clear mind. Anyone replace one of these?

#8 ·
Replacement key cylinder is the only fix most of the time. Pull apart the steering column and use a cold chisel and hammer to loosen the tamper proof bolts. Then replace them with normal bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.