VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a thin black rubber film that coats the radio buttons that is bubbling up and peeling off. One of the presets is now totally white since all the black coating has worn off.

Anyone have experience obtaining and replacing these buttons?

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is a very common complaint. Do you wear any hand lotions, sunscreen, or have sharp fingernails? They will chew up the buttons. The radios are so cheap now that IMHO, just buy a new one that comes with the radio unlock code and plug-play.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
You are not alone. I am having the exact same problem. Also, my power window buttons and my power mirror control switch are pealing. The power window and mirror switch are cheap enough and easy enough to replace. I used a website that sells new VW parts at wholesale price. Very reasonable. As far as the radio goes, I am waiting until I have a little extra money so I can replace the entire unit with a nav system. I don't like aftermarket radios, but some of these nav units look like OEM so that is what I will go with.

I don't know of any way to replace radio buttons individually. If someone knows of a way, I would like to hear about it.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
FYI you can't replace the faceplate because I remember reading somewhere that someone tried that and it didn't work. If you took apart the faceplate you could probably reuse the buttons but I don't know if it comes apart. Plus, the OEM Premium 6 radios are so cheap now it's not a bad idea just to buy a good condition used one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have the same issue, TDIrunner - what is the website that sells the power window buttons? Any info where to get a replacement radio or should i buy aftermarket one?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
@stra0529,

This is the website that I have used to get most of my VW parts:

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=215911

They have good customer service. They messed up an order once, but they took care of it very quickly and at no cost to me. Shipping is reasonable, but it is cheaper if you buy several things at once since they have a minimum shipping amount. I paid about the same amount of shipping for front rotors and pads as I did for the power window switch.

Make sure you include your VIN number when you order. They will check your VIN to make sure the parts you order will fit your car.

As far as the radio, you might want to look for used. I just checked and they do list a few different radios, but they seem expensive to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts