VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 vw jetta tdi parked at restaurant and when I returned a red symbol was lit in the dash & I had no power steering . what can be checked or repaired without taking to a dealer?
I am not a mech. However, with the help of the nice folks on this forum I successfully replaced the cam & lifters just over a month ago. Thanks Again for that.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
double post removed, if you need to edit the message just edit the first one.

Was it the steering symbol?

If so, it means there is a fault with the electric steering assist and it's disabled. Drive to Autozone and get the codes scanned. The error normally only shows when the battery is disconnected and is reset by driving a few feet in a straight line. Here is a little more on resetting steering adaptation: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/steering-adaptation-VW.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
off/on power steering light 06 jetta tdi

2006 vw jetta tdi w/electromechanical power steering. problem: eariier in the week a yellow steering symbol stayed on for a 30 mile trip when Iturned off the eng. and restarted then no light. Last night after a 3 mile trip [ w/no lights] the car was parked 45min. when the car was started it had a red symbol light & no power steering. This morning only a yellow light & steering fine which went out in about a block when I turned ign. off & restarted , eng. did turnover longer before it finaly started .While on this trip experenced engine turning a lot before it started this is not normal on this tdi.After backing into my garage I turned engine off & restarted approx. 4 times experenced hard starting for one of those & the red steering light is on again also no power steering again. Can you advise ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
having same problem

2006 vw jetta tdi w/electromechanical power steering. problem: eariier in the week a yellow steering symbol stayed on for a 30 mile trip when Iturned off the eng. and restarted then no light. Last night after a 3 mile trip [ w/no lights] the car was parked 45min. when the car was started it had a red symbol light & no power steering. This morning only a yellow light & steering fine which went out in about a block when I turned ign. off & restarted , eng. did turnover longer before it finaly started .While on this trip experenced engine turning a lot before it started this is not normal on this tdi.After backing into my garage I turned engine off & restarted approx. 4 times experenced hard starting for one of those & the red steering light is on again also no power steering again. Can you advise ?
Hello can you please let me know what the outcome was with the power steering problem you were experiencing I seem to be having the same problem and not quite sure how to use this web page thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 vw jetta tdi parked at restaurant and when I returned a red symbol was lit in the dash & I had no power steering . what can be checked or repaired without taking to a dealer?
I am not a mech. However, with the help of the nice folks on this forum I successfully replaced the cam & lifters just over a month ago. Thanks Again for that.
My jetta which is under warranty has been pulling to the right and the dealer has not been able to figure out the problem. They changed the steering rack twice (reconditioned) (third one coming up is new), aligned it 4 times and changed the tires. No fix. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Loose front subframe or bad suspension or wheel hub.

No offense but have they confirmed the problem or is it just based off your observation? It could be the road crown or if you're not used to the electric steering it could feel unstable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts