VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently embarking on swapping a replacement engine into my 2006 Jetta TDI with DSG trans. I'll be doing it in my home garage with no car lift, just an engine hoist.

My Bentley Manual (vintage 2007) has nothing regarding engine removal.

I've spent a couple of hours searching various forums with little success as to the best plan of attack (pull it out the top? drop it out the bottom? drop engine and trans as an assembly?) I'm looking for any obvious pitfalls, or an idea of just how much of the front end of the car I'll need to remove.

My first inclination is to pull it out the top, but as I looked over the top of the motor I don't see any obvious attachment points. I see from an online repair manual that VW makes a hoisting bracket (VW 2024a, you can google a picture of it) but I can't see where it would hook to a BRM motor. Otherwise I'm going to fabbing up something myself.

The default method is always to start pulling off parts until it comes out, but I'd like to find the shortest approach and avoid wasting time trying something that is not going to work.

Any help out there? Am I headed for trouble?

(FYI, the car has 184K miles, it just stripped out a timing belt with only 89K miles on the belt, the obvious fix is to replace the head. However, when we bought this car new, I planned on keeping it forever, so about four years ago I bought a used BRM motor/ DSG trans with 35K miles out of a wrecked 2006 Jetta and kept them crated in the garage, expecting to need them about five years from now. Would I be smarter to just swap the head instead of entire engine? I like the idea of having a fresh motor, but don't want to torture myself to get it in.)

Thanks,
Smokey TDI

p.s. I recently replaced the dual mass flywheel. After that experience, splitting the motor/trans will be a piece of cake, the question is where do I go from there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you don't have a lift, it comes out the front. It's not as bad as you think. If you get some experience, the front end comes off in about 1/2 hr.

Start with removing the screws in the wheel wells. Remove the vents (the side ones are more likely to break out..) and find all the screws that retain the radiator support and bumper. TAKE PICTURES! There are several screws that look interchangable. The condensor coil can be removed from the radiator bracket and we lay it over a towel on the right fender. That way you can remove the rest without losing your freon.

Now there is a big hole in the front of your car to work through... questions? Call or email.

What about your old engine?

Frank
417-232-4634

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just found this video on Youtube.

I just found this video (just a series of pictures) on Youtube of a guy doing a gas engine swap in a 2005.5 MK5 Jetta. He pulled off the entire front of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGQch3U-qs

Wow, this is an involved job with lots of room for me to damage something or miss something during install. At around 0:55 seconds into the video he appears to have both engine & trans out of the car and possibly the driver front suspension, which means an alignment after it's done.

Add to that the uncertainty of me having a used replacement motor and not knowing what it's overall condition is (although it only has 35K miles). I'd hate to get the new motor installed, have it not run and have to diagnose what could be any of a hundred issues.

At this point I'm leaning toward just taking the head from the spare motor and installing it on the existing motor. As long as I don't have a bad cam in the replacement head (which would be a problem either way and if the head looks good once removed , it essentially reduces my risk of problems down to screwing up the cam timing, right?

The drawback of course, is that I'll still have a lower half engine with 184K miles on it. (although they are gentle and well maintained miles).

I've replaced heads on other vehicles, never an MK5 Jetta. Anybody ever done one? Any DIY guides out there?

Any thoughts?

What would YOU do? I'd love to know....

Smokey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Frank,

Thanks for the info and vote of confidence. I didn't see your reply until after I posted my follow up note that shows a video of a guy doing the engine swap as you describe it.

I'm a one man show who does his own maintenance & repair not because he likes to, but because I hate paying dealer rates.

Here is the funny thing, I'd already bought the timing belt kit, I just figured I easily had another 5K miles before installing it. Live and learn. I heard these 100K timing belts are now being called 80K belts.

What are your thoughts on time/complexity/trade offs/risk of doing head swap versus whole motor?

I do have a VAG-COM diagnostic tool if I run into a glitch doing the whole motor swap, but short of the VAG-COM giving me a fault code to lead me in the right direction or doing obvious checks for problems, my biggest fear is having a newly installed motor that won't run with no fault codes or obvious problems. The dealer would have a hayday charging me to diagnose that! Thus my leaning toward just doing the head.

As far as what I do with left over parts, good question. You interested?

Smokey

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you do, please take lots of pics. It would really help the site and I'll archive it. Pulling an engine isn't as hard as you think and replacing the head will actually be easy once it's out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are your thoughts on time/complexity/trade offs/risk of doing head swap versus whole motor?

I do have a VAG-COM diagnostic tool if I run into a glitch doing the whole motor swap, but short of the VAG-COM giving me a fault code to lead me in the right direction or doing obvious checks for problems, my biggest fear is having a newly installed motor that won't run with no fault codes or obvious problems. The dealer would have a hayday charging me to diagnose that! Thus my leaning toward just doing the head.

Smokey[/QUOTE]

Smokey,

First thing, if I get a junkyard engine, I don't care WHAT mileage they claim it has, the head comes off. Who knows? Maybe it was left in the rain with the intake open... The ONLY way we buy a wrecker engine is with a return policy. The only way we will install it is by first removing the head and inspecting the cylinders and condition of the head.

On your second point, using a cam that has a known issue when there is a proven replacement available, (AND if you take the head off, we do internal improvements...) is what you call insanity; doing the same thing, expecting different results.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would send the original head to me and let me fix it so it doesn't do the same thing again. If it's damaged, we can usually fix it and fix it right.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts

Smokey
Smokey,

First thing, if I get a junkyard engine, I don't care WHAT mileage they claim it has, the head comes off. Who knows? Maybe it was left in the rain with the intake open... The ONLY way we buy a wrecker engine is with a return policy. The only way we will install it is by first removing the head and inspecting the cylinders and condition of the head.

On your second point, using a cam that has a known issue when there is a proven replacement available, (AND if you take the head off, we do internal improvements...) is what you call insanity; doing the same thing, expecting different results.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would send the original head to me and let me fix it so it doesn't do the same thing again. If it's damaged, we can usually fix it and fix it right.
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
06redmk5tdi

First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts