VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hoping for some insight on a issue with a 2006 Jetta TDI.
Engine starts but then stalls a few seconds later. Everytime. No response to throttle.
The car belongs to my sister, and she brought it to me for servicing. New timing belt, waterpump,
seals, etc. all replaced. Changed fluid and filter on the DSG. Car ran perfect both before and after the new parts were installed. A few hours of run time later, she had an issue with the car stalling when trying to accelerate away from a stop sign. I test drove the car and it would do this intermittently, then on the test drive I noticed a loss of power at highway speeds. I pulled off the highway to turn around and the car died. Will start as normal but then stall a few seconds later. Towed it back to the shop and I'm stumped as to what's causing this. I've checked the lift pump. It has loads of pressure/flow verified by removing the bleed screw on filter housing an cycling the pump. Verified with VCDS that the lift pump is running when starting the car. Fuel filter is new.
No check engine light. VCDS is reading no engine codes. Signal from sensors all look good using the VCDS.
No restrictions in the intake lines. Intake flap is open as it should be.
Pulled it apart and verified timing. It is 100% dead on.

When I first started the car after doing the timing belt, etc. the alternator was not charging. Was just a sticky brush in the alternator. Why this might be relevant is because the car ran with low battery voltage while I was diagnosing the not charging issue. When poking around with the VCDS it had some codes related to low voltage. (Transmission denies you shifting it into gear without enough voltage)

If I clear all present codes (none from engine at all) with the VCDS, it will upon first start set a transmission code. 18149. P1741 - Clutch pressure adaptation.
Could this be why the engine stops after a few seconds? I haven't found any reports of other people with this code having the engine stopping issue, only putting the vehicle into limp mode. Not a VW guy, was hoping for some insight from people with more experience with these cars.

Any ideas what I am missing? I suspect its the transmission computer as they have been so prone to failure, but not very familiar with VW electronics. How can I verify that it is indeed the transmission computer without buying a replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

I could post those error codes if your stopping with this forum.

You need to post the full VCDS log file in CODE tags?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your post KeithUK. Hopefully I have understood and made all the all the changes you suggested.

Here is the first log file. The first two engine codes shown are from me disconnecting the associated sensors and trying to test that they were functioning correctly (intake flap and mass air flow sensor) The low voltage errors were from the alternator briefly not functioning as mentioned in my first post.

I will post a second log file which is the codes that come up right away after clearing all codes. Even without starting the engine for the few seconds it will run.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts