VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 2006 Jetta TDi BRM that im having trouble starting. The car would start after cracking it for 15-20 secounds and after it starts the car would run fine with no problems unless I shut it off and leave for 5-10 min and ill have a hard time starting it again.. the car has a new cam shaft lifters and cylinder head and I also installed a new tandem pump I really dont know what could be causing this problem but my glow plugs are working and fuel pump is working as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just completed the cam/lifters swap and have verified cam timing twice, I am having the same problem, immediately after installing the cam it would start fine, now have to crank 15-20 seconds and hold the pedal to the floor to crank it, once running runs fine. It does seem to be getting worse every time I start it, pulled the fuel filter and there was quite a bit of very fine glitter in it, on top of it and in the fuel in the canister.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jumping in an old thread, I just changed my cam and lifters, too. Same hard start. I will check the timing this weekend. It started great the first time after the job. Now it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it going. No codes or lights.

Any resolution?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Did you
Jumping in an old thread, I just changed my cam and lifters, too. Same hard start. I will check the timing this weekend. It started great the first time after the job. Now it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it going. No codes or lights.

Any resolution?
Did you use the TB article on this site? If it's getting worse fast, either something in the TB is failing and/or getting loose, or the fuel lines are losing prime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to know on the timing fixing it mrciscoe! Can any of the other members who were having same issue post there fix? I just bought an 06 Jetta TDI That has same exact issue as all of you described. Super hard start cold. Once it’s running it seams to run pretty good, although I’ve noticed engine shaking for and aft a time or two, but not always. No CEL at all. In the last 70K miles this car has had both fuel pumps, cam and lifters, unit injectors, timing belt and associated components. 205K miles on it now. I bought it from the guy who was at his wits end with it. Really starting to wonder if timing is off a bit. I know it can be tricky to set on some TDI’s

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Having similar problem.. With 07 eos and BMM engine..
Had trouble hard starting before xmas every now and then in mornings then started ok..
Changed glow plugs and gave the car full service filters, oil etc..
Then camshaft went, lobes warn and lifters dinted and one smashed through top..
Changed camshaft, lifters, bearings with the help of the BRM guide on here (thanx chitty) also changed oil and filter..
Car runs fine now but it still hard starts on the odd morning (seems worse than before)..
Had garage run vcds but no codes, did say fuel was hot tho 70+c, and injector open long or close to limit 1.9.. Limit being 2..
Any ideas where to go from here? garage said to replace timing belt..
Which i never it says in guide to just do camshaft 1st.. But i dont see this as answer to problems..
Than in advance

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Please put the year in your car: Eos?

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 05/2006-05/2008, Model: Eos, Engine Code: BMM, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD), 8v

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Oh sorry keith.. I did pay to become premium member so i could read the BRM guide, so not totaly free ;) well worth it tho :) Think my cars getting to the point where you'll see me alot more aha..
Thanks for adding info about my car its an 07 I will also add its done 196k.. Drives fine though, jst this occasional hard starting

·
Registered
12 Posts
06 Jetta BRM Jumping back into old thread I’ve done everything to fix the hard first start and nothing yet, I’ve advanced my cam timing to 1.0 torsion value and it drives better but help on first start, new glow plugs, both fuel pumps replaced, new fuel lines at filter, tested lift pump again fills bottle in a few seconds, car drives great after first start, if it sits longer than 2 hours I have the same hard start, no rising oil levels leading to leaking fuel injectors. I do have a little white smoke on that hard start. But nothing after, I have power for the most part of stock BRM lol.
My next option is to test fuel pressure leak somehow , I know in the common rail TDI. You can view with vcds, but not with PD! Any help on how to pressure test the fuel system before I have to take it to my import shop. I have no CEL codes other than my EGR delete !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you replaced the injector seals?
I have not due to missing a few tools needed, I’ve spent so much on tools and parts I really just wanted some second advice before I keep burning cash.

after searching it seems if I had a leaking injector I would have problems starting the car hot also, misfires, smoke, loss of power, and raising oil levels from fuel mixing in.
But the lines from the low fuel tank all the way up to the new tandem pump can be full after I prime with vcds, and it does not help. That’s were I get confused.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts