VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently noticed my passenger door will not lock. All other doors lock, and all the electronics on the passenger door works. If I manually lock the lock module the door correctly shows it being locked.

Initially I thought it was the door lock module, but I just got done replacing it and it still isn't working.

I tested the leads on the connector and got .5 and .3 volts in some of the combinations.

I looked at the door harness at the hinge revealed the wires and they looked in decent condition with not cracks or breaks...

unless there is a short somewhere in the lock wiring further in the door I'm not sure what else it could be.

frustrating when you spend you afternoon doing something that doesn't make a difference 🤦‍♂️

any suggestions or help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I recently noticed my passenger door will not lock. All other doors lock, and all the electronics on the passenger door works. If I manually lock the lock module the door correctly shows it being locked.

Initially I thought it was the door lock module, but I just got done replacing it and it still isn't working.

I tested the leads on the connector and got .5 and .3 volts in some of the combinations.

I looked at the door harness at the hinge revealed the wires and they looked in decent condition with not cracks or breaks...

unless there is a short somewhere in the lock wiring further in the door I'm not sure what else it could be.

frustrating when you spend you afternoon doing something that doesn't make a difference 🤦‍♂️

any suggestions or help is appreciated.
  1. Jan. 10, 2022

I’ve been having some similar issues with my 2006 Jetta. I replaced the Drivers side door lock unit twice with still no resolution. Checked YouTube videos for anything related and found the usual remove and replace the door lock types, which ARE informative. But sometimes you have to go deeper than pull and replace. One video, don't know where geographically speaking it took place but the issues were related to what I am seeing and maybe of relevance to your issues. The video shows the removal of the door lock unit (location: Rear Driver side door): A diagnostic exam was performed on the “Bad” door lock, to determine what had failed inside the door lock. The exam covered both the mechanical as well as the electronic areas of the unit. Results: Everything on the door lock performed correctly when placed under load. The unit was “GOOD”. So he kept investigating the issue. Checking the electrical schematics of the Jetta, he noted that power to the door lock, flowed from the rear window regulator, which contains a small circuit board. He pulled the electronic part from the window regulator (window was working OK) and checked the operability of the circuit card and found that some of the circuit traces were not operational. Back to the schematics, he noted that the circuit traces that weren’t correct working, supplied power to the door lock. He replaced the faulty electronic unit with a GOOD unit and the door lock became operational.

I know this description sounds a little farfetched but I have my own experience in another area of the Jetta, that lends a little credibility. I had some work done at a repair shop, for the Jetta. Car went in electronically ok, came back with the fuel gauge not working. Thinking it was a failure somewhere in the electronically fuel metering system, I went in that direction, replacing the fuel sensor and the fuel pump, per directions I received from various sources. Nothing worked, the gauge was still not working. I finally found a YouTube video by someone not local, but he provided an analysis methodology that I still follow. He described a similar condition (non functioning gas gauge) and said that he found a burnt area on a circuit board that caused the problem. He fixed the problem area and regained his gas gauge operability. e location of the circuit card was the Jetta dash control module. The one with the speedometer and RPM gauges. I pulled the dash module out and disassembled the unit to the point were I had the circuit card out. I examined the area in question…and found that particular area had a blown circuit trace. I had the circuit trace repaired, reassembled the dash module, re-installed the unit and fired up the car. The result was, the gas gauge became operational, the air conditioner became operational as well as the temperature sensor. Understanding the schematics on the Jetta are really important.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts