VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a pretty loud knocking noise from the engine of my Jetta. I'd like to replace the camshaft, lifters, and rocker arms because they appear to be damaged. The problem for me is that the procedure for timing belt removal and installation looks difficult. I work as an apprentice at a dealership so I'm pretty much a novice. Do you guys think this job can be tackled by somebody of my skill level? And if it's too difficult, is there anyway for me to just replace the camshaft, rocker arms, and lifters without messing with the timing belt?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It depends on the milage of the current timing belt really, if it's near time for changing then it's a bit risky to leave it on there and you'll have most of the work done just getting to the camshaft. The PD engines aren't bad though, the fuel pump is driven off the camshaft instead so you don't need to worry about that, just the camshaft and crankshaft. Chitty on here also rents the tools out for the job and if you follow the procedure in the faq you'll be fine. The first one's always a bit nervy but there not as bad as they look lol, it's just paying attention to what you're doing and remembering to put everything back in its place as you go. I like doing them now even though and the only tricky one I've found is on the vw sharan because of the design of the engine bay, it gives you less room to get in there. If you need further instruction as you go you can always post here.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Ask another mechanic to read the DIY here and have them help you. No, removing the camshaft requires the timing belt to be adjusted. Make sure you're looking at the mk5 procedure for BRM engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts