VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a no-start issue on my 2006 Jetta BRM. I recently changed out the cam (colt stage 2) and lifters, turbo (to the PD140 unit), clutch (Centerforce stage 2 endurance), timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler, and all fluids/filters. Took about 4 days with the battery disconnected. When I did the timing I used the metalnerd tools and followed the repair manual, double checking the timing. It needed a slight tweak the first time. I cycled the fuel pump to prime the system (verified by pulling the return line into the top of the fuel filter). All the car wants to do is crank. Not even a hiccup. Not getting any smell out the exhaust. The only code that is engine related right now is the turbo boost sensor reading low (still have yet to upload the tune to fix that). When I monitor the torsion value, I get nothing. I have tried disconnecting the cam sensor, still no start. I show engine RPM of 200+ during cranking. The only ground connection I knowingly disturbed was the one attached to the top starter bolt. I am hoping someone else has seen this. I saw another thread similar to this, but it seems like the problem fixed itself. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have rechecked my timing. No issues. I uploaded the tune for this build, and the turbo boost sensor error is no more. I have been digging around in VCDS and found that the measuring blocks for injector status are all reading 128 (Begin of Injection Period (BIP) not plausable > Electrical Fault. Obviously the car isn't running for this measurement. I will keep digging and posting my results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out that the in tank lift pump cannot prime the tandem pump or injectors. I connected a vacuum pump to the return line from the tandem pump at the top of the fuel canister. Plug off the steel nipple it was attached to. Suck out a bunch of diesel. It will take forever. I got out the better part of a quart before I was done. When the bubbles are a bit less frequent, start cranking with the vacuum pump still sucking away. This helped the tandem pump draw out the air and after a bit it fired up. Kill it immediately and restore the fuel hoses. And never run one of these out of fuel! The tank pump can only prime the fuel canister. Hope this helps someone else out.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I am having a no-start issue on my 2006 Jetta BRM. I recently changed out the cam (colt stage 2) and lifters, turbo (to the PD140 unit), clutch (Centerforce stage 2 endurance), timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler, and all fluids/filters. Took about 4 days with the battery disconnected. When I did the timing I used the metalnerd tools and followed the repair manual, double checking the timing. It needed a slight tweak the first time. I cycled the fuel pump to prime the system (verified by pulling the return line into the top of the fuel filter). All the car wants to do is crank. Not even a hiccup. Not getting any smell out the exhaust. The only code that is engine related right now is the turbo boost sensor reading low (still have yet to upload the tune to fix that). When I monitor the torsion value, I get nothing. I have tried disconnecting the cam sensor, still no start. I show engine RPM of 200+ during cranking. The only ground connection I knowingly disturbed was the one attached to the top starter bolt. I am hoping someone else has seen this. I saw another thread similar to this, but it seems like the problem fixed itself. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
wow thats a lot of work. how many miles on the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
134k. It was starting to sound like a bad cam and DMF, and the turbo was leaking oil. Why throw stock parts back on, right?

I first tried to cycle the ignition 30 times to use the lift pump to prime the system . It filled the canister, just like after a filter change, but couldn't do the tandem pump. I probably could have just cranked it over for a while, but that made me nervous with the new cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am unsure if anyone uses these Forums anymore but if they do that would be awesome for some input.
I have a mk5 Jetta TDI, Engine Code BRM
I have a crank no start issue, motor & turbo have been fully rebuilt down to the crankshaft.

Fuel system: is perfect, brand new lift pump, deleted the fuel cooler, new fuel filter, valleys in fuel filter cap working properly, tandem pump is putting out enough PSI, Injectors are getting fuel
Intake system: Maf Threw no codes of VCDS, Turbo actuator is new
EGR: deleted and tuned out with Flashzilla tune (previous owner) i did uninstall and reinstall to make sure it was properly flashed.
ECM: the only code i have is for the aux heater in the cabin malfunctioned, in reading this is common but would not prevent the engine from starting

Im at a stand still, i have done every test i know how to do. fuel + Air = Exhaust LOL its not that hard.
any advice? Anyone still use these forums?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I am unsure if anyone uses these Forums anymore but if they do that would be awesome for some input.
I have a mk5 Jetta TDI, Engine Code BRM
I have a crank no start issue, motor & turbo have been fully rebuilt down to the crankshaft.

Fuel system: is perfect, brand new lift pump, deleted the fuel cooler, new fuel filter, valleys in fuel filter cap working properly, tandem pump is putting out enough PSI, Injectors are getting fuel
Intake system: Maf Threw no codes of VCDS, Turbo actuator is new
EGR: deleted and tuned out with Flashzilla tune (previous owner) i did uninstall and reinstall to make sure it was properly flashed.
ECM: the only code i have is for the aux heater in the cabin malfunctioned, in reading this is common but would not prevent the engine from starting

Im at a stand still, i have done every test i know how to do. fuel + Air = Exhaust LOL its not that hard.
any advice? Anyone still use these forums?
Could it be the injector timing or torsion value from replacing crankshaft? If you're sure the injectors are getting fuel then you're a step ahead of me. I've got a similar unsolved issue. Replaced mush of the same but mine could go back so far as the rear main seal being misaligned when I replaced with the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts