VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attempting to change out the worn camshaft, timing belt and tandem pump gasket on my 2006 TDI BRM. There are awesome write ups on both the camshaft and timing belt replacement, hopefully the video for the timing belt replacement will be able to be accessed this weekend. Since I am going to replace the tandem pump gasket I am assuming I will start with removing the tandem pump before I attempt to remove the cam? My main concern is before removing the tandem pump should I have the camshaft at TDC position or the 1/4 turn CCW before removing the pump or does it really matter? Also is the tandem pump coupling easy to rotate with the pump removed from the head? On the camshaft replacement video there is mentioned about the tandem pump being removed before removing the camshaft but I can not seem to locate that thread. Any help with finding this information would be greatly appreciated.
I have never replaced a camshaft or timing belt before but have confidence that I can with good directions. Just want to make sure I am not performing any parts removal out of sequence that may create a big problem.
Thanks ahead of time for any and all recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you. Just posted a thread about it looking for the same article on the how to procedure

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this service for the first time on my BRM. My advise is to not worry about the tandem pump gasket on the front end... if you look at the tandem pump gasket and where it has sealant applied... just apply extra sealant in those two corners as your reassembling and chances are you won’t have to change the gasket... I did not know to put sealant in the two corners during assembly and ended up having a tandem pump leak. You can reassemble with new belt, pump, followers, cam, and bearings and then fire it up. If you have a tandem pump leak it will be very obvious between the pump body and valve cover. Even if this happens, you can unbolt the pump later and flex everything back far enough to slip the old seal out and slide the new one in and put it all back together. That’s what I ended up doing and didn’t have an issue at all. Everything will still be lined up when you do the seal on the backside of all the top end maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also if I was unclear... I did not remove the tandem pump for cam swap. I was benefited by directions from Frank at Franks TDI in southern MO about doing the cam swap with no pump removal. It’s an unnecessary step that complicates the whole procedure if you ask me.

Also if you are planing on doing all this maintenance I would suggest doing the fix on your egr pipe on the back of the engine while you are all apart...

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Tenacnightman,
I’m with the rest of the replies. I am about 7000 miles away from my second timing belt replacement. I had to replace the BRM cam and followers on my previous timing belt replacement... it isn’t necessary to remove the tandem pump to remove the camshaft. The tandem (or two) pump is a fuel and vacuum pump, driven by the camshaft. However it is just a pump, it doesn’t matter if it’s 180° out of clock position.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Tenacnightman,
I’m with the rest of the replies. I am about 7000 miles away from my second timing belt replacement. I had to replace the BRM cam and followers on my previous timing belt replacement... it isn’t necessary to remove the tandem pump to remove the camshaft. The tandem (or two) pump is a fuel and vacuum pump, driven by the camshaft. However it is just a pump, it doesn’t matter if it’s 180° out of clock position. View attachment 8289
This is the camshaft drive key way on a BRM tandem pump.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I had what appeared to be a leak around the tandem pump and decided to replace the gasket. I was able to get the tandem pump back on with a lot of tedious trial and error. Got it done, but will have to see if the new gasket was installed correctly after I install the timing belt and water pump this weekend. Hopefully the tandem pump will not be a bear to prime. With the links on this website not functioning properly I may have to search for solutions elsewhere. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts