VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hi! I'm a newbie and I have a question about my tdi. I bought the car when it had around 65,000 miles on it and now it has 99,000. I am looking into changing the timing belt,water pump, etc.. My question is how can I tell if the timing belt is the original one? I don't want to dig in to the motor unless I have to. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks so much! Looks like I will be getting to know my tdi on a more "personal " level!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You can't. Because it's a few hundred dollars up to $1000 to replace it, the previous owner would have said something and unless you know for sure, change it. Neglecting it can result in valve-piston contact and engine damage.

Once you take it off, there should be some date stamps on the roller that will tell you when the roller was built and let you guess when the belt was put on. Take a look at the timing belt article in the FAQ, it has easy to follow instructions that will help you replace it.

Also, post moved to mk4 section.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi bud, The question I would ask is. Why risk it? If it snaps, you'll cry. If you're unsure and it's due or over due then I would just change it. A bit more hassle but a lot less money.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts