VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I have an intermittent problem with my 2006 Beetle TDI.The car has 300K and is well maintained and has never had an issue till now.The issue I am having is a
crank/no start issue occasionally.When this happens the vehicle is always warm and will eventually start after 5-15 minutes.I have never had this issue cold.I have recently changed the Lift Pump, fuel filter, tee fitting valve in fuel filter line, 109 Relay.The car runs perfect and has excellent performance and economy for what it is.There are no check engine lights or other codes called out.I have checked the fuel pressure at the entrance to the fuel rail and when the key switch is initiated the gauge pegs the 10lb gauge but after about 3 or 4 seconds falls back to 0 lb whether I crank it or not.When it finally starts it idles at 10lb and stays at 8-8.5 lb during normal driving.At WOT it stays at 6-6.5lb.
I have checked the ASV and it is functioning normally and isn't sticking closed.I am probably missing something stupid but I am wondering if the tandem Pump might be the issue with a bad check valve leaking off.In any event it is very frustrating not knowing if your car is going to start or not when you are out and about.I look forward to hear your feedback to see if this issue has crossed your path.
Thanks Again

J

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I don't know the testing procedure for the cam sensor but it sounds similar to a problem I had a year or 2 ago on a BEW. No codes present. Occasional nostart. Occasional dying while running. Sorry don't know the test procedure or the mechanic shot the parts cannon at it and hit the first time. Just something to research while others answer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.I will review the troubleshooting on the Cam Sensor.The vehicle has never died while running but stranger things have happened.
Thanks Again
J

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

Thread titles should mean something about the problem not just model name 2006 1.9 PD Beetle, I've added crank/no start.

No codes with what?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Mine was the cam sensor too, never died but occasionally wouldn't start, just cranked and cranked.

Another one is the crank sensor.

There's probably a way to check them with live data but I'm not sure how. Fortunately I did have a code for mine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response.I have both sensors and will install shortly.I will post the results.
ThanksAgain
J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an update to this problem.I changed the Cam Sensor with no positive result.I then changed the Crank Position Sensor and that solved the problem.I have drove the vehicle several hundred miles of daily driving Post Repair and am making this conclusion.I appreciate the input from all the members that have commented and I hope this information is helpful to you if this issue crosses your path.
Thanks Again
J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gd afternoon, Gentlemen. Similar starting problem for 2004 BEW VW Golf. Cannot find ( to replace ) tank fuel pump relay. The only relays what i have - on pictures. Lots more relays in repair manual...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts