VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member first time post. I need help My TDI transmission is slipping. Could there be simple fix or is it transmission overhaul time?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.
I don't know about automatics myself but someone on here should be able to help.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, It Just started and we only have driven the car about 10 miles sence it started and it has triped the engine light on the dash so I will try that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passat Transmission

I decided to take it in to the dealer. he tells me just to check the oil it will cost 120.00. Is that right? or is this :BS ?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Take a look in the mk4 PAssat transmission change FAQ article. You have to bring the car in warm and then with the engine running, open the fill hole. If a few drips come out, it's OK. If it's low, nothing will come out. It sounds like they are charging you 1 hr labor, sounds fair.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take a look in the mk4 PAssat transmission change FAQ article. You have to bring the car in warm and then with the engine running, open the fill hole. If a few drips come out, it's OK. If it's low, nothing will come out. It sounds like they are charging you 1 hr labor, sounds fair.
Mk4...this is the mk3 section :)

If you can find an independent mechanic to do it, they should charge you less. The dealer is almost always the most expensive place to get serviced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A transmission that isn't locking up is a known problem on the TDI B5 platform Auto transmissions.
Not driving it much is good. Since it can't lockup, you're putting alot of heat into the transmission fluid.
If I recall correctly, there's and internal seal that fails, and the Torque converter can't lock up, and the Auto Trans controller throws a Code that triggers the "engine light".
I think you might be in for a new Torque converter.
Yeah the Check/Fill hole is only accessible from under the trans. and the bolt that covers needs a gigantic allen socket torqued to 60 ft-lbs or some ridiculous torque. real PITA, I've never come across such an over engineered check/fill hole.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I decided to take it in to the dealer. he tells me just to check the oil it will cost 120.00. Is that right? or is this :BS ?
I'm afraid that dealerships usually charge at least an hour labor to plug in their diagnostic equipment (VASx)...

Please read up a bit more about your car... the 2004/5 Passats have an engineering fault dealing with the balance shaft and oil pump chain in the motor... There is a repair for this but it's quite costly, and best combined with a timing belt system change... again, not cheap...

Also: please be a bit more specific as to your precise location... We may (or may not) be able to recommend someone who has expertise with these cars who may be in your area.

All the best,

Yuri

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you see Error Code P0741; this would signify the internal seal leaking problem.
There is a TSB on this problem.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/TSB010722.pdf
The TSB only calls out passats til 2004 with 01V auto transmissions but the 2005 passat is the same/has the same transmission.

Although not a transmission issue, I agree with Yuri. The Balance shaft module should be upgraded when the next Timing belt change is done, if not sooner.

I still have a chain driven Balance shaft & oil pump, but also have a 1 year extended warranty. Eventually I will have to change, it hopefully funded by the warranty (or partially).

Good luck,
Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts