VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

2005 VW Pass bal shaft del kit issue

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  smutts 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 VW Passat w/ the 2.0 TDI BHW. Wife was driving car and the low oil press. light came on, so she drove 5 min to get home. I installed a new oil press. sensor and a new oil filter. Then ran the engine a few mins and concluded: no oil pressure. I read online about the balance shaft delete kit and decided to have my VW mechanic install it and a new timing belt kit while he was at it. He started the car and it was still smoking, so he told me the turbo was shot, so I ordered a new garrett turbo and did the install myself. Checked the oil level (full) Started the car and it seemed fine for the first couple minutes, but then once it reached operating temperature it began smoking as badly as b4 the new turbo was installed, I ran the car for maybe 10 minutes, then i shut the car off and waited a few minutes and checked the oil level, it was down a half a quart.
I am baffled on whether the smoke is coming from the engine (from running with no oil pressure) or from the new turbo?? From what I read it is rare to get a new garrett turbo and have blow-by coming out the exaust.... I have also watched several videos and they said alot of times the oil outlet drain from the turbo is the problem. I have since taken the turbo out and checked the drain, and oil flows down fine when the engine is not running, so it is not plugged. I am wondering if perhaps there is too much crank case pressure and it is not allowing the oil to adequately drain back into the crankcase??
Open to suggestions....... HELP...

See less See more
#5 ·
No Smoke, from the engine prior to installing the bal shaft delete kit. Car had no oil pressure hence, installed the kit. After the kit was installed, ran car and good oil pressure, but excessive smoke coming from the exaust..... My mechanic said the turbo is shot, from running with no oil pressure and car having 145K on the clock. So I purchased a new Garrett turbo and installed it myself. Started the vehicle and minimal smoke for the first couple of minutes, then once at operating temp. A lot of smoke coming out and I ran for like 10 minutes and the smoke continued and I drove the car, it didnt seem to have any boost. I checked the oil prior to starting and it was full, after I shut off I waited like 10 min and it was like a 1/2 a quart low on the dipstick. So my dilema here is: I am wondering if the smoke is coming from inside the engine from running the engine (rings / seals?) a few mins w/ no oil pressure prior to installing the kit or if I got a bad turbo and the smoke is coming from the new turbo I installed??

#4 · (Edited)
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature either

You don't say what the mileage is, it could need a turbo rebuild.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 11/2003-05/2005, Model: Passat/Variant/4Motion, Engine Code: BHW, 100Kw, 136PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Mexico ("MEX"): Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD) Timing belt

#7 ·
Since this engine is known for rapid camshaft and lifter wear, I would pull the valve cover and do a visual inspection, especially since there was a substantial period of no oil pressure. Next, do a leak-down and compression test which will help you judge the condition of the head gasket, the rings, and the valve seating.

About the turbo being the problem, sounds like your mechanic just took a guess instead of troubleshooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.