VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased 2005 Passat TDI with 77K miles and attempting to get several little problems fixed. The value cover has a small leak. Dealer informs me the only way to buy a valve cover gasket is to also purchase the valve cover. Through a conversation with a parts guy he shared with me VW part number 038103483D is a valve cover gasket for the 1.9L TDI engine that will also fit my 2.0L TDI engine. Anyone had any experienced this challenge? And is there any reason why a person should replace the valve cover also when you have a very minor leak.

Thanks

Richard

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The valve cover or valve cover gasket has a leak?

The VC is reusable, try tightening it down. If someone removed it, you're supposed to put gasketmaker at the corners to prevent leaks.

The VC for the 1.9 pumpe duse engines might fit yours, I've never tried it through. If it works, please post a follow up! I wouldn't replace the entire thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did tighten the cover a bit but I am way past the 7 ft. lbs specification. I am going to 1st try removing and using gasketmaker before buying a new gasket. I will post a follow up if I do end up buying the gasket (only).

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
PS, there's a trick to removing the VC, take a look at the camshaft inspection article, you have to position the cam sensor tabs right or else the VC will catch on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts