VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I had a non running b5.5 that had been sitting for some unknown amount of time. When I got it I had to trailer it home. It had a lot of issues, such as no braking force (vacuum leak in line to booster), EGR cooler was bi-passed, but they left the cooler on which was leaking exhaust, etc. 2 days ago i got it running and driving, I drove it 140kms throughout the day picking up minor parts for it around town etc. It ran fine the only issue was that the climate fan didn't run I worked on that this morning and figured out it has a dead spot in the motor so a good whack and it starts up.

I was going to drive to the wreckers to pick one up and drove down the street to smoke out the back. turned around and went home some testing seems that it is smoking lightly at idle and when you rev in park it smokes slightly more, however with any load driving it is most noticeable.

This is my readout. I purchased vcds however have not received yet so only on free version for now.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BHW.LBL Controller: 038 997 016 N Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 1388 Coding: 0150034 Shop #: WSC 91590 VCID: 29257EA7C0E1
3 Faults Found:
16791 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low P0407 - 000 - -
16930 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs P0546 - 000 - Please Register/Activate
16485 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs P0101 - 000 - Please Register/Activate Readiness: N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.LBL Controller: 3B0 927 156 CF Component: AG5 01V 2.0lPD USA 0505 Coding: 0001104 Shop #: WSC 05311 VCID: 6CAB47B30F93 1 Fault Found:
17125 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred P0741 - 003 - Mech

I'm not worried about the EGR as it is not connected atm (delete kit installed). also not yet dealing with the trans although I put it up incase it has some odd connection

I noticed I lost some oil so my current thought is that the turbo seals went since it finally got some use. I am pretty new to diesel and turbos... I have a lot more knowledge in normally asperated gas engines. Any advice or thoughts would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I would disconnect the actuator, by removing the circlip, and try to actuate the turbo by hand.
Pull the boost host to the intercooler and see if oil pours out, if so the turbo seal is shot. This is dangerous and could cause runaway. Do both before driving again.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do that tomorrow and let you know the results. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BHW.LBL Controller: 038 997 016 N Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 1388 Coding: 0150034 Shop #: WSC 91590 VCID: 29257EA7C0E1
3 Faults Found:
16791 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low P0407 - 000 - -
16930 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs P0546 - 000 - Please Register/Activate
16485 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs P0101 - 000 - Please Register/Activate Readiness: N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.LBL Controller: 3B0 927 156 CF Component: AG5 01V 2.0lPD USA 0505 Coding: 0001104 Shop #: WSC 05311 VCID: 6CAB47B30F93 1 Fault Found:
17125 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred P0741 - 003 - Mech
That looks like VCDS Lite which isn't registered/

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

VAG Error Code: 16791/7343/001031

EOBD II Error Code: P0407

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) - Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine hesitation.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Potentiometer (G212).

Special Notes:
Numerous Rest of World (RoW) market flash updates and recalls exist for this Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) in TDI-CR engine sizes; 1.2L, 1.6L and 2.0L. Check your Official Factory Repair Information sources for applicable Technical Product Information (TPI) and contact your local dealer with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see if any recalls are open.

VAG Error Code: 16930

EOBD II Error Code: P0546

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235), Bank 1 - High Input/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s) short to positive.
Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235), Bank 1.

VAG Error Code: 16485/4794/7329/7330/5667/4795/000257

EOBD II Error Code: P0101

Fault Location:
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) - Circuit Range/Performance Problem/Implausible Signal - Intermittent Not Confirmed - Tested Since Nlemory Clear

Possible Cause:
Loss of Power.
Erratic Idle.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Air Leak(s) after Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Excessive restrictions in the Intake/Exhaust System.
Dirty air filter, clogged snow screen, clogged CAT.
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty,
Ground Spots corroded or Paint Residue.

Possible Solutions:
Check Intake Air Filter.
Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Check Earth Points.
Mass air flow vs upper threshold model < 60 - 800 kg/h.
Lower threshold model < 0 - 400 kg/h.
Load calculation > 18%.
Fuel system < -17%.

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW diesel cars Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy / dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) - 08], group 003 (3rd gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).
It is not uncommon for a TDI to set Implausible Signal Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faults when the engine performance is reduced due to a mechanical problem. These mechanical problems may include, but are not limited to:
Faulty electric fuel pump or Restricted fuel filter. See the Fuel Pump Basic Settings for PD, PPD, and CR TDI Engines page for Basic Settings tips after replacement.
Excessive restrictions in the intake/exhaust system.
Internal camshaft/valve/lifter problems.

Tech Notes:
Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
A high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) under light load driving condition.
A low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 17125/001857

EOBD II Error Code: P0741

Fault Location:
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid - Performance or Stuck Off/No Power Being Transferred

Possible Cause:

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Level not OK.
Transmission Sealing faulty.
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) dirty.
Torque Converter faulty or incorrect Torque Converter installed.
Shift Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)/Pressure Regulating Valve 4 (N218) faulty.
Torque Converter Pressure Valve faulty.
Valve for Torque Converter Clutch faulty.
Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch faulty/worn out.

Possible Solutions:
Check Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Level.
Check Transmission Sealing.
Check Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
Check Torque Converter.
Check Shift Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)/Pressure Regulating Valve 4 (N218).
Check Torque Converter Pressure Valve.
Check Valve for Torque Converter Clutch.
Check Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch.

Special Notes:
When found in VW Passat (3B): 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V), check Transmission Sealing (see TPL 2009761).
The North American Region (NAR) Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 01-07-22 or 2011908 should contain similar information about the internal torque converter seal failure.
When found in the North American Region (NAR) Audi vehicles with the 01V/01L family transmission check for similar torque converter failure issues explained in Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 32-07-02 or 2010879/10.
VW Vehicles with the Most TSBs

When is the code detected?:
Lock-up does not occur when driving in lock-up range or lockup remains ON in lock-up OFF range.

Description:
The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.

Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.

When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

·
Registered
2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@eddielee

Ok so I pulled the hose off the intake and looked in the turbo everything looked clean and perfect I then pulled the boost hose and it was free of oil. I could not get to the circlip however I could see the actuator functioning when I removed the vacuum hose and replaced it. I have a crappy video I will try to upload and post. Everything looked good though so I put it all back together and test drove down the block still a lot of white smoke. no new codes.

·
Registered
2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@eddielee

Ok so I pulled the hose off the intake and looked in the turbo everything looked clean and perfect I then pulled the boost hose and it was free of oil. I could not get to the circlip however I could see the actuator functioning when I removed the vacuum hose and replaced it. I have a crappy video I will try to upload and post. Everything looked good though so I put it all back together and test drove down the block still a lot of white smoke. no new codes.
VIDEO of the turbo running

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Without knowing the history it's difficult to know where to go. When you get VCDS you can see more of what's going on and look at graphs.
Easiest way to graph is to drop the file into Malonetuning.com and you can post the graph here by copying the address in the bar after it's graphed.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 VW Passat TDI Wagon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I got VCDS I did some tests. And didn’t get far. After a few hours I checked the oil and down a quart. Pulled the hose off the bottom of the turbo again and really no oil. So I pulled off the hose from the bottom of the intercooler and found it. Also every other hose thereafter all the way to the EGR. Turbo is out and on my bench. So waiting looking to find one to replace it I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts