VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I have a 2005 A5 TDI, 65K mi. I'm planning to do the timing belt job when it's time. The article in this forum adds great detail to my Bently manual! I am missing one detail though. What are the 2 support bar attachment points on my engine? I couldn't see detail in my manual. This forum is a great resource!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Once you lift the engine cover off there are metal loops on the cylinder head. 65k? They really are good for 100,000 miles. You can check it before that but unless it's about to snap you really can't see anything. If you hear bearing noise coming from the rollers you can change it early too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I ended up taking pics of the lift points and added them in the BRM engine timing belt writeup. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/brm_timingbelt_part1.htm

Here they are: the red one isn't an official lifting point but if you remove the bolt it will do for the purposes of supporting the engine IF the weight is being held at the green official lifting point.

Here's the driver's side lifting point on a Jetta TDI with BRM engine. The hose has to be removed and its clamp is a PITA so for the purposes of timing belt job, the other points are probably better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great

Yes. i used two bolts on the intake with a short link of chain.
Over 10k on the new belt now. I'll be making a LONG road trip at the end of this month and know more about the mpg but it seems unchanged. The power level has seemed to have increased moderately. Sorry it's taken so long for a reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts