VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05.5 Jetta BRM with DSG that I have just spent a bunch of money on and now have another issue. It will shudder under a moderate to hard acceleration, especially at lower RPM's. I has just gotten a new DMF, new Stock Camshaft (until the Colt Billet Cam comes in), new PD 140 Turbo, timing belt, water pump and serviced the DSG. I just adjusted the cam torsion last week as well. It was at -0.5, now at 2.0. Just had 4 new tires and alignment done yesterday. The car drives wonderfully now except for that "new" shudder. I'm thinking maybe the clutch pack in the DSG is the cause. Anyone else ever have this issue?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Need a bit more detail. Does it shudder worsen at lower or higher rpm? Can it be alleviated by down shifting, or does it get worse?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing didn't affect the shudder. It has not done the shuddering under deceleration. It seems to be only under lower RPM 3/4 throttle or higher acceleration. If I put the shifter in sport mode and get the RPM's higher, it doesn't do it. It just feels like a slipping clutch to me. I had not heard of this before with these cars, so that's why I'm asking if anyone else has experienced this before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm curious to hear an answer because I have the exact same problem. I bought and installed a new DMF one year ago from IDparts and maybe 6 months later, I had that "grinding"from low speed at low RPM and nothing above about 2000RPM. Now, 6 other months later, I have a lot of difficulties to not produce the "grinding" noise from a complete stop. Is it normal a DMF begin do make noise after only 12K miles and is as worst than that after 25K miles?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine doesn't make any noise to speak of. Mine is more of a heavy vibration that feels like the clutches trying to grab but can't get the job done. I have the Kerma horsepower kit and I did have a bad DMF before installing the HP Kit. (I installed new DMF and the HP kit at the same time) Mine slips, or at least feels like it slips when it is under the the highest torque.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an 05.5 Jetta BRM with DSG that I have just spent a bunch of money on and now have another issue. It will shudder under a moderate to hard acceleration, especially at lower RPM's. I has just gotten a new DMF, new Stock Camshaft (until the Colt Billet Cam comes in), new PD 140 Turbo, timing belt, water pump and serviced the DSG. I just adjusted the cam torsion last week as well. It was at -0.5, now at 2.0. Just had 4 new tires and alignment done yesterday. The car drives wonderfully now except for that "new" shudder. I'm thinking maybe the clutch pack in the DSG is the cause. Anyone else ever have this issue?
I should chime in here as I am having the same problem with my 2005 Passat Tdi wagon.This past summer we swapped the auto transmission out for a 5 sd manual. Love it, but on hard acceleration I feel a shudder that, for lack of a better description, feels as though it's drive line related. When doing the work we opted for a SMF and the BSM was deleted. Several weeks after the work was completed I had a Malone Stage 1.5 tune done to it.
I am very happy with the vehicle as it runs sweet, but that shuddering is really annoying as I can't use the engine to it's full potential.
Any suggestions as to a cause would be appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After driving mine today about 200 miles, I'm not so certain that it is the clutches in the transmission. It does shudder on hard acceleration still, but when it does, it doesn't lose any speed and the tach doesn't rev as though there is slippage. I'm really not sure what this can be. As I said before, a lot of work ws done at once, so can't pinpoint it to one part installation. KermaTDI informed me that my Colt Billet Cam should arrive next week, so I will hopefully get that changed out in the next couple of weeks and see if that changes anything. I honestly don't think it will though.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. Surely someone has had this issue before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this might seem silly, however, my 06 will chatter when the fuel filter is clogged. I have also had this issues with some type of fuel stavation issues, like junk in a fuel line.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Check you half-shafts, wheel bearings, tie rod ends and LCA bushings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I can rule out the fuel filter as it was replaced 6K miles ago.
However two weeks ago I had clutch slippage while on a 250 mi. trip, even in 5th gear. In that instance it was obvious slippage as i could see it on the tach. I haven't pushed it abnormally hard since then as I don't want to rush into having a clutch replaced.
The clutch slippage was not at all like the shuddering I would feel under hard acceleration so I don't believe they are related.
I will however have to give my Passat a hard drive to see if I still have clutch slippage although I am at a lost as to why it would stop slipping. One can only hope. ☺
That clutch only has 6K miles on it and I don't abuse it, so.......????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine hasn't acted up too much recently, but then again I have not been too hard on either. I did recently run it fairly hard with the gear selector in sport mode. It did not shudder on hard acceleration then as the RPM's are a lot higher in sport mode. If I leave it in the normal "drive" position, and accelerate fairly hard at a lower RPM it does its shudder thing. I hope it's not the clutches, but that is what I think it is.

The steering and suspension is tight, the half shafts were out during the DMF replacement 3000 miles ago and are in good shape. Fuel filter was changed 3000 miles ago as well as the DSG Fluid and filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I can rule out the fuel filter as it was replaced 6K miles ago.
However two weeks ago I had clutch slippage while on a 250 mi. trip, even in 5th gear. In that instance it was obvious slippage as i could see it on the tach. I haven't pushed it abnormally hard since then as I don't want to rush into having a clutch replaced.
The clutch slippage was not at all like the shuddering I would feel under hard acceleration so I don't believe they are related.
I will however have to give my Passat a hard drive to see if I still have clutch slippage although I am at a lost as to why it would stop slipping. One can only hope. ☺
That clutch only has 6K miles on it and I don't abuse it, so.......????
I’m having this exact problem. Installed updated DSG flywheel about 25,000 km ago. It does it under heavy acceleration when getting on the highway/freeway ramp. My mechanic can’t find out exactly what’s going on. I’m lost at this point. My car has 380,000 km which is on the higher side for a DSG. But this sound is like the clutch pack is slipping. Please help!!

·
Super Moderator
9,466 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
This is most likely the pressure on the clutch pak being low for more then one reason. Weak Matreonics is what i blame mine on. Mine will shutter on hard acceleration, 5th and 6th. I have done axles, flywheel, mounts, tires, tunes, fluids,ect. I have a 06 jetta brm dsg. I wounder if there are fluid screens in the matrionics that need cleaned because these trans are spec to be capable of some high HP input. Just another annoying point these cars have i guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts