VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently bought an 04 wagon with a 'seized motor' for $700. They guy said he had brought the car to a quick lube place to change the oil and they stripped out the drain plug. They installed a pan saver to get the car back on the road. The guy got a phone call and pulled off the road, apparently he hit something while pulling off the road that ripped the pan saver out and caused the oil to come out and the engine to stall. He started it back up, drove 100 feet, said the car was running poorly so he shut it off, got out and saw the oil puddle. Car got towed back to his house, he put a new pan on it, filled it with oil and started it. Let it idle for 20 minutes, another large puddle of oil and coolant on the ground, so he sold the car to me :nana2:

A few days later I found another TDI with 130k that would be a perfect donor, so that's my current plan. But I'd like to do the timing belt first.

So I have two questions: what is the possibility of rebuilding the original engine? I'd assume at minimum head gasket, crank/cam seals, timing belt and whatever else may be leaking oil/coolant. Or, worst case, all of the above with a lower end rebuild? I may rebuild it and keep it in the garage in case I ever need it.

Second, I was looking at the timing belt DIY, it doesn't look overly difficult as long as you have the tools and have an eye for detail and don't take any short cuts. I'll have the engine out of the car so everything will be on a bench in front of me, which may make it even easier. But is there anyone in the Central NJ area that has done this before that would be willing to give a hand for a couple hours one night?

I'm excited to be driving a diesel, can't wait to get this thing on the road! Thanks for your help, awesome sight!!

And just for the heck of it... :panic: haha!!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Email sent, I rent the timing belt tools.

1: as a total guess, it might need a new turbo, camshaft, and main/rod bearings. If really bad it's junk, if not bad maybe just main bearings. Considering how long it was running, maybe not...don't know why there was coolant on the ground...

Camshafts are real wear areas on these cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts