VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had to replace the mat under the engine cover (bew) without buying the complete assembly - i think the foam is mainly for engine noise??
any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
175 Posts
Those tend to flake off. It's also to help warm up the engine and keep it warm. If it's bad just cut it out and throw it away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a new 2004 TDI Jetta owner, I would like to know if the plastic engine cover is needed? can I leave it off after I change the oil?

JAF

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, no problems.

It gives some sound and heat insulation. It also helps hold the dipstick from shaking which could wear down the base gasket over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Makes sense - I live in northern MN, does the cover provide that much insulation that it would be necessary?

Also, what thermostat should be used, right now my temp gauge shows 150 degrees, is that hot enough?

One more question; Are block heaters recommended? In the winter here, temps can get to -35 below quite often.

jaf

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Not really but it does keep the engine warmer a little longer. Mostly for sound.

Temp gauge should point straight up but to see the actual water temp you need a VCDS cable to read the sensor.

The car will start fine as long but a block heater is an easy install and will give you instant heat and instant start on cold days. The fuel distributors add a winterizing element but a small splash of powerservice anti-gel additive won't hurt. It'll also raise the cetane and make the engine easier to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts