VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, the problem is that the cruise control doesn't work. When you switch the cruise function on, the cruise light on the dash turns on, but when you hit set, the car doesn't maintain speed. Anyone have any experience with this system, the car is new to me...2004 Jetta TDI BEW.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,382 Posts
Is this the standard Cruise Control or did you retro fit it? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know the cruise is factory, like I said the car is new to me, but all the controls look OEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Keith, thanks for the insults Chap...But I don't really need a lesson on how to use cruise control and I don't need to see a video about some guy whining about his cruise control not working, which by the way doesn't even have the same symptoms. Since my brake lights work, cross the brake light switch off the list of problems...and since I have to use the clutch to start the car, I guess we can rule that one out too... Perhaps someone with some experience with cruise control troubleshooting in this forum can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
9,382 Posts
Sorry slider78 I didn't mean to insult your intelligence but as you can appreciate you have to cater for all types on a forum. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Worries...just giving a hard time. I think the issue here is either really simple or its going to be a real pain to find. Since I've already ruled out two of the simple problems, a quick fix is looking less likely. I'm just unfamiliar with the CC circuit on the VW's since I'm just coming over from only owning Toyotas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cruise control not working

Greetings.
I too just bought a 2004 Jetta (BEW) and have the same symptoms as slider78.
Lights come on, but no response when Set is used.
Brakes and clutch seem to work normally...
I'm planning to get a Haynes maual for this vehicle - my usual tradition when getting a new car - and hope the wiring diagram might help a bit.
I'm wondering if there's a speed sensor or wire that goes to the ECU that's prone to damage/loosness.

Let's hope it's simple :)
I didn't have cruise on my previous vehicle (a 1987 Honda Prelude) so I'm really hoping I can get this working!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feel the Haynes are not very useful. Their instructions typically read something like this: How to remove the engine
Open the hood. Remove the wiring and fuel lines. Remove the engine. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Get the Bentley manual, they have wiring diagrams in the back. I have a newer car and there are some omissions but it's still better than the Haynes.

·
Super Moderator
9,382 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my 2003 Golf

Please post your solution if you find one. I have the same problem, but, no apparent cause?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to insult anybody's intelligence but have you pressed the button for a couple of seconds? If so have you tried activating it by pressing the res button instead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I used to have this problem when I put in LED lights in the back without putting in the resistors. So the car thought the bulbs are burned out and for some reason turned off the cruise control. Hope this helps. Ivan

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have had the same problem. I haven't had CC for 2 years now and it sucks since I put on close to 20k miles/year...mostly highway. It seems like I've had everything checked...2 brake light switches, the switch on the turn signal piece, a clock spring (?), and the switch for the buttons in the steering wheel. About the same time I lost use of CC the ESP light would come on if I hit the "rumble strips" in the center of the road with my left side. I've asked each mechanic it's gone to if that could be the problem and they've all said "no". It sounds like they all are coming to the ECM needing replaced. Any other ideas?

2005 (old style, not new); 170,000 miles; TDI (duh); 5-speed manual; I believe it's a BEW

Please help!

Jessica

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks BangBang! Unfortunately that too has been checked. No error codes are pulling up either. So, "if" I can locate an ECM will it need re-programmed or is it something my husband could install (he's pretty good with cars)? Also, I have no idea where I'd look for an ECM....I think the dealer wants a very shiny penny for one. Other than tracing all of the wiring everything has been checked at least once. So I'm at a total loss.

Jessica

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
ECU requires the SKC number (which you don't have) and a VCDS tool. This is because of the immobilizer. You could try to find a used ECM through ebay or car-part.com. Or call your local junkyard or post a wanted ad in the classifieds section here. Worth a shot. You should be able to use a 2004 ECU as well, auto-manual one too, but not 100% sure. I would never buy a new ECU from dealer, they cost over $1000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've found some used ECM's on Ebay, but am a little scared they won't work. Do I get the SKC number by removing the ECM? And is the VCDS tool a programming thing or is it a tool to remove the ECM? I kinda thought I could use a 2004....it seems like a lot of the stuff is for that year and I'm guessing that has to do with the whole 2005/2005.5 thing. Thank you again for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I too have the same problem with my 2005 VW Jetta TDI cruise control. Did you ever find out how to fix yours? Appreciate any info you can give me if you are still on this forum.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts