VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some info on converting my current 2004 Jetta with a BEW TDI to an ALH TDI.

I just need to know what parts I will need and if this is possible. Do I need a new ECU, and wiring harness... assuming that I already have the alh complete with turbo and all accessories and ready to drop in...

I have had both engines and as far as I am concerned the ALH wins every time for reliability and cost for parts. This BEW has had the camshaft done 2 times now and I wont do it again!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
ECU, engine wiring harness for sure, possibly the instrument cluster wiring harness but I don't think so. Pedal cluster may be able to be reused but I'm not sure. The rest should bolt up, the transmission is slightly different so I'm not sure if your cruise control will work, but it will bolt up.

The lift pump can stay but I don't know if it needs to be rewired because it's part of the chassis wiring harness.

It's a lot of work and the older ALH are cheap enough already, why not sell the BEW and buy a car with an ALH already in it? It's fun to build cars but when you can buy a car instead of building it yourself, the time and expense will be a lot more than 2 camshafts.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
wow 2 camshaft. How many miles on each one and why hasn't VW come up with a fix for this?
They do, they say to buy a new car :D

At least it's not Ferrari. The f360 engines and f430 had problems with low quality factory exhaust manifolds failing. The exhaust goes back into the engine along with bits of catalytic converter which wrecks the engine. Their response " Don't be a cheap ass, just buy another $250,000 car". So it's not just VW.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
They do, they say to buy a new car :D

At least it's not Ferrari. The f360 engines and f430 had problems with low quality factory exhaust manifolds failing. The exhaust goes back into the engine along with bits of catalytic converter which wrecks the engine. Their response " Don't be a cheap ass, just buy another $250,000 car". So it's not just VW.
LOL To bad it don't work the other way around. Don't be a cheap ass and buy the car back from me at market vaule and i'll go buy a Subaru! LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts