VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new set of front struts and rear shocks, made by Sachs (Germany).
The units I took off were Sachs also, but made in Mexiko (where the car was assembled).
The ride was very smooth before i replaced the worn-out shocks (bounce tested). After reoving, all (4) units were "loose", with no gas left.
Now the ride is very harsh, bouncy. (I can feel every groove in the road, or roads in Mich are bad).
Did I get the correct shocks/struts ? Are they suppose to be this firm ? Did anybody else have a similar experience ? I did not get the "Sports" version, I got the "Touring" version , "OEM", from PartsGeek. I thinks, it's my struts, the new shocks feel fine.
I wish, I had kept my old front struts, the ride was actuall pretty good before, but with 150K miles, I thought, it's time...
Any thoughts ?

Rainer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Stock TDI struts are pretty soft. Give it a week and see if you get used to it. A brand new suspension also needs a day or two to completely settle in. But no, the ride shouldn't be harsh, it should be controlled but not harsh. What was their part number?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
struts and shocks

The part numbers are:
Front struts: VNE 4574-BE Bilstein Performance
Rear shocks: BNE 2942 BE Bilstein
I just noticed, that the brand was Bilstein, not Sachs (Sachs were for my sons Volvo), and that the struts were "performance," not "touring".
That may be my problem, that the "performance" struts are tighter, firmer, than the orig. equipment.
If thats my problem, I will definitely replace them with a "normal" struts.
I can't get used to the bumpy ride... I wonder if I can exchange them ? (I would be surprised, and not expect that.)

Rainer

·
Registered
22 Posts
It won't be balanced unless you change them out. Drive around and see if you can get used to it. If so, it'd be faster to change the rear shocks to performance.

Since it's a new part that was already installed it can't hurt to ask for a return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
front struts

I called the Vendor, and they told me, that the struts could be faulty.
After double checking the description, they are listed as "Touring" as I thought, but on the invoice it said: "Performance". They told me, that they would replace them at no charge, and will pay for shipping.
I decided to get the Sachs struts instead, $ 20/ea more, but those are closer to the OEM style,which came with the car, I am told.
I am impressed, how hassle-free the exchange was agreed upon. I will highly recomend that supplier to my friends.
Will get email from them with instructions how to proceed.
I really did not want to go thru the hassle, but I will be happier afterwards, I am sure...
Hope to keep my car for a long time. Doing a timing belt replacement this W/E. Wish me luck...My first one...

Rainer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
front struts

2004 Jetta with BEW engine.
I purchased a belt replacement kit and rented a set of tools for this procedure from Blauparts. The instructions which came with the tools are very simple and specific to the BEW engine. The instuctions for earlier versions are different.
I will compare the notes as I go along.

Rainer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
front struts

Replaced the front struts with the new set made by Sachs. I noticed, that the Sachs struts were not gas filled. You can push the rod into the body, and it does not push back out. (just like the old one I removed originally, when I installed the gas filled Bisteins - I thought they were worn...)
Drove the car today, and the ride is 100 % better. Firm, but not bouncy, harsh.
I guess, that solves it, the Bilsteins just were not correct...
There is a bit of a bounce in the rear, those are gas filled Bisteins, also, but it is very minor, I can get used to it.
On to the timing belt change tomorrow...

Rainer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts