VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI ALH. It’s making a ticking noise which seems to be coming from the valve cover. I just replaced the camshaft and lifters hoping that would solve the ticking. Sadly it did not. I thought maybe there was a pre ignition from a injector so I cracked open each injector one at a time at idle but no change to the ticking. It’s quite a loud annoying tick. It ticks at any rpm. Any ideas of what to look at next?

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own. ;)

I was going to say check the camshaft and lifters but you say you have replaced them.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have access to a vag-com dongle at the moment. But I don’t have any codes using an OBDII reader. Car runs fine. Just a loud tick as if it was a worn camshaft. The previous owner said it had been ticking for the past 3 years. I’ve owned it for a few months now. If it was valve damage, could it run like it is for 3+ years? I’d hate to be causing some sort of damage whatever is causing the tick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts