VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 jetta tdi intermittently Will not start. This has happened 2 times in in the last two weeks. the first time I made 4 attempts to start. When the key is turned on the glow plug comes on and goes out normally. When start is initiated the engine fires up for less then a second then even if starter remains engaged no joy. I tried this 4 times with same results. Next morning the car started normally. Two weeks later the same situation, but the car started on the third attempt. The engine has started normal since.

The car has 194,000 miles and except for clogged manifold (EGR valve) has had no issues. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's not relay 109. Some things to look at: is the anti shudder valve open? If you feel the spring loaded rod at the intake manifold, it should spring open if you press it closed.

Does it sound like you're not getting any fuel? How is the injection timing? This sounds like the car could be losing prime due to fuel leak but the fact that it started normally the next day suggest that it's not.

Any error codes? If not sure, drive to autozone and have it scanned.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

These random things can be difficult to sort I find, at least if something's deffinitely broken you know what needs to be fixed.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2003 jetta TDI is doing the same thing, did you ever find out what was wrong with yours? I have a scanner, no error codes are showing. It will start and run normal, I will go into the store, come out and it will not start. It fires for a split second then just cranks. Right now it will not start at all. I was going to check the timing, but it has to be running for that. Anyone with any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Did you check your 109 relay? It's in the main fuse box, my car didn't start recently so I just popped out the relay, gave it a few taps on the ground, popped it back in and away I went. It hasn't played up again so far but I'll need to get a new one at some point. My timing was fairly retarded but my car still started, a little bit more hesitent was all. Does the glow plug light come on and go out as normal? Is there plenty of fuel reaching the injectors? You could just crack the pipe unions a fraction then try cranking the engine and it should staet spitting out fuel.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
8 Posts
My jetta seems to be doing the same thing, I have had fewer false starts if I wait for the key light to go off. Not sure what it means but thats my my two cents

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
That's the immo light but it might be that the glow plugs are getting longer to work first by you waiting,:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
the glow plug light comes on as normal with the key and goes out in couple seconds, I will check the relay and the fuel at the injectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tdi intermittent no start

my problem ended up being the anti-shutter valve was stuck.
I know this was an old thread, but I just had the same problem.
Intermittent no start.
On going issue 5 or 6 times in the last couple years.
Car would not start today, Googled to find this thread.
Found the shutter flap -was- closed.
Changed relay 109 last time this happened, same.
Opening the old relay I found the moving contact arm was hitting a plastic piece & thought the contact was not tight enough.
What I also noticed the last time the car started after closing the hood. (Vibration open the flap?)

Crash ya l8tr
Rich W.
google it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts