VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2003 golf tdi w/ auto trans. Has 109,000 miles on it. 27 miles from dealer, injector 3 blew out and injector holder bracket is missing and bracket bolt was sheered off at the block. It looks like a straight injector replacement and tap and pull for the bolt. how bad is this, plus where can I find the bracket that I need to hold injector 3 in place.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Just bought a 2003 golf tdi w/ auto trans. Has 109,000 miles on it. 27 miles from dealer, injector 3 blew out and injector holder bracket is missing and bracket bolt was sheered off at the block. It looks like a straight injector replacement and tap and pull for the bolt. how bad is this, plus where can I find the bracket that I need to hold injector 3 in place.
More to the point, why aren't you going after the dealer? obviously someone torqued the crap out of that retaining bolt and that's what caused the bolt to shear off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the diagram, the bolt prob was over torqued. After a long conversation with the lowly used car dealer, he did agree to fix it. Knowing these type of people I doubt that it will be done properly. Is there anything that I should do even if the bracket and bolt are replaced. should I get a new set of injectors just in case or should I just see how it goes, and what should I look for I am picking the car back up today. Well not anymore, just called and said he needs another part.... I hate dealers

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The injector tip could have been damaged if it hit something hard on its way out. Why did they even touch the injectors?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The washer that goes on the fork is curved and will only fit 1 way. The fork can snap if it's overtightened. I don't know why but they seem to break really easily if you go too high on the torque.

There are some more notes in the fuel nozzle installation article in the FAQ. Follow up by looking for leaks around the hole. Also use a VCDS tool (aftermarket scanner) or have the dealer inspect the injector balance by looking at the engine measuring blocks (in the software). If #3 is way off it could have been damaged.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Injector Blow out

Hey thanks for the help so far, I got the car back yesterday. it seams to run great. but I looked at what was fixed, and it was not done right, the retaining washer from before has been replace with just a regular washer. So I need to get the proper one. I looked on-line for the part with the number from the Diagram and can not find it. plus they sprayed something around the injector. looks like i might have to take it to VW for a real check up. pics up later

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I can tell that it's a regular washer instead of the OEM one... What is that stuff?
That looks like either JB weld or some high temp caulk, either way not something you use in an injector installation. WTF?

Looking at the image full size it looks like JB weld type stuff or perhaps even muffler mender paste. That bolt doesn't look legit either. Whoever worked on this car is a friggin' hack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Injector Blow out

Well I guess that is that, going to have to take it to Veedub and have them look at it. :panic:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts