VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Golf TDI. I'm having over-boost issues and I want to dismantle my VNT-15 turbo and clean the VNT mechanism. Can the turbocharger be removed from the exhaust manifold without taking the whole assembly off the engine? What's the easiest way to separate the rusted turbocharger housing from the exhaust manifold without damaging anything?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I'm sure I read it can be removed from below but have a look through the faq, it's bound to be in there somewhere.:)

welcometomyturbodies everyone:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did this on a Audi A3 2000 ALH with a VNT15.This thread

Its a pain. After a week of penetrating oil, WD40 and hammering at the cast iron part (exhaustmanifold part), I gave up. I had to get a army mechanic to seperate the two halfs. He used a 'custom inverted vice'.

The guides i used was:
http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html (dosnt have the integrated exhaust manifold)
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Drivbiwire_VNT_repair_procedure_small.pdf

But before you take on this painfull task:
- Are you sure that the VNT15 is to blame? What have you done to come to this conclusion?
- I 'think' you can swap the N75 (charge pressure control) with the N18 valve (EGR). This should be fine for testing. I made I diagram to keep track of the wires on my car: (ignore the direction of the arrows)

Im just guessing that you have the same faultcode as me, but with posetive instead of negative deviation (have you read faultcodes?). If look at this site: wiki.ross-tech.com. They list cleaning the actual VNT15 as the last step in the elimination process!

If you have a long, thin metal bar (rebar?) you hould be able to try to excercice the VNT lever. Like this:

If its stuck or not moving enough, you could try to disconnect the VNT actuator rod (think its only fasten with a clip). You should be able to reach it from the engine bay or from underneath the car. If the VNT lever stil dosnt move, then you can dissasemble the turbo end clean it. (Be prepeard for the oil-line to be twisted, but this should 'always' be replaced anyways)

If you have vag-com or VCDS I would try to graph RPM/MAF/MAP/MAP_dcycle to see if it gives you any clews. If you look at my thread, you will see that I just as easely could have gotten overboost fault code (almost 2500mbar instead of 2000mbar).

Edit:
ETKA lists your models as having two turbo types. You kind of have to take a look for your self and find out with one you have: (bear in mind that I dont know **** about ETKA)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts