VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I patiently collected my necassary VW tools, while my head was at the machine shop for 2 weeks. These forums were carefully read....and, re-read. I got the head on, properly torqued. I found the TDC window, and set the mark. I got the cam installed properly, and the ijection pump locked in place. But, when I set upon the belt tensioner....something went wrong. I heard "click, click, click". I felt something shift. The tension changed. Another "click click", then I hit the end. I got less than a quarter revolution. Failure! I was confused...had a mood swing. A tear ran down my cheek. Then I removed the cam gear. I took out the cam, and inspected the lifters for damage. Stlll good. I went under the car, and turned the crank throgh some revolutions. Still good. I removed the tensioner, and began to suspect it. I had 2 additional tensioners. One off a burn engine, and another off my basket case Beetle. The tensioner is damaged, or had come undone. The backside has moved outward...up the center bushing. I want to use my basket case tensioner. My question is..."Did I damage the part by setting it wrong, or was it already damaged"? We may never know...but, I need very simple instructions on how to install my tensioner properly, without damaging it! I am blocked from the "STEP 2 INSTRUCTIONS" on this site. Can anyone help me?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It could have been already damaged. I would have read the entire writeup and asked any questions before getting started but that's just a suggestion. Now that you've made an intro, you can view it. There are some videos of the tensioner action which should help explain it.

FYI, some other possibilities are the tab on the back slipping out. That could have been the click. I would not reuse the old tensioner. Pics of the damage would help give some clues, also post moved to mk4 section since it's kind of technical.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks!

Of course, I had read the instructions many times prior to my first attempt. I also had the advantage of having a parts car. However...nothing can change the fact that I am not a VW tech, nor do I have experience with these parts. I could read Russian jusy as easily, and comprehend as much. This is why the forum is such a blessing! Thank you. After selecting the best of 3 tensioners, I got a full revoloution, and discovered the timing belt is all tore up. I will have to order a timing belt kit, and start again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts