VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day driving to work I noticed a major drop in power on the freeway. I first thought it was a serious headwind (i'm a former caddy owner) but it lasted way too long. My check engine light was on already from a weird glow plug #3 fault which keeps coming back but thats another post. So i read them and this time i had an overboost code. I cleared the codes. It seemed fine once again. till the next day on the way to work. No power.
After checking a couple things out I decide to crawl under it and look at the turbo. Here is where i found the VNT15/17 had rusted apart! I hooked my vac pump to the line and it held vacuum but since it had split in half it won't move the vanes in the turbo causing it to overboost and the car goes into limp mode. Tomorrow i hope to get the new actuator and install it. looks pretty easy except adjusting the rod length gonna try to match it up but if anyone has done this I'd appreciate any info. thanks and i hope this helps someone else out.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The actuator had rusted apart or the turbo had rusted apart!:panic:

there is a writeup in the FAQ which shows how to test and replace it, you use a vac pump to set the actuator rod length but ideally the rod should be the same length. Also, post moved to mk4 section.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts