VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
23,883 Posts
It's possible the harness is bad. The contacts in the tips can corrode and fail. Just replace the harness.

Oh, and the parts linked through that site and all the similar copycat sites are almost certainly all very low quality parts. I don't think OEM parts would help vs genuine Bosch glow plugs but either would be an improvement over those crappy parts. More likely is a bad glow plug harness.

· Premium Member
23,883 Posts
Here is an article on how to replace the glow plugs:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/glowplugreplace.htm

The harness is visible. Take it one step further to replace the harness.

First blow out any dirt around the glow plug hole. Use a 10mm deep socket to remove the glow plugs.

Does your new harness have more than 2 wires and a plug? I believe the 2002 and newer do but the plug is deep in. The older ones had only 2 wires because they couldn't sense individual glow plugs.

If you just want to cut/splice in the new harness, I suggest using crimps instead of soldering because it's much faster and easier to get a good connection. Cut the old harness to leave a long wire on the harness end so you have something to work with. Follow up with heatshrink tubing to make a waterproof connection. That's it.

1 - 2 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.