VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

2001 vw tdi timing marks

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mgibbo 
#1 ·
I am installing a new timing belt on my 01 tdi beetle. I have the crank timing mark at top dead center. The camshaft is close to top dead center but off a little so the cam lock will not go in. My question is... could it be possible the last person which installed the belt had the marks off a little. Shoud I go ahead and loosen the cam bolt, loose the gear from the cam shaft and then turn cam slightly to align the cam lock...thanks

#3 ·
so long as you have all of the tools, what you need to do is rotate the system so that the cam lock goes in, then take the belt loose by popping the cam pulley loose and removing the tensioner. your TDC mark onb the flywheel will have moved in whatever direction you had to rotate the cam, so rotate the crank back until TDC is in the window.

once you get the cam locked and the crank on TDC, you can then rotate the pump and lock it.

oce the pump is locked you can loosen its bolts and continue on with removing the TB system components.

reassembly is covered in the writeups on this site.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.