VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, as well. I drive a 2001 Beetle TDI with a busted key. I have the remote control and the metal "key" part separate because the switchblade holder broke. It's a pain because I have to hold the remote which has the rfd chip in it in the same hand I'm trying to turn the metal part with. Nobody's stealing a 10 year old Beetle with over 200k miles on it so I really don't need the immobilizer. Hoping to find help here with keys, remotes, and immobilizers in general. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Moved post because it had nothing to do with the other thread.

Take the chip and put it in a new key. You won't need to program the immobilizer. Otherwise, chip tuning can increase power on your car and remove the immobilizer. There's no way to bypass it easily with a wire or something.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Almighty, well first of all I gotta get my $0.02 out there - old cars with low security are stolen more often then nice cars, 'cuz they use them to commit other crimes. Couple weeks ago one of my employer's work trucks to nicked (and recovered) exactly for this reason.

Anyways, as for fixing your key - I can help you with that!. You have two options. Either you can get a new key and reprogram it ($70 part from the stealership), or you can get a new switchblade holder (used) and rip your key apart with some eyeglasses screwdriver and rebuild the old one.

So if you go the first route, if you don't already know, the remote comes apart and you're dealing with the top half of it. Buying a new one of those means programming. My local dealership wanted $40 for this. Buying a "vag-tacho" cable off ebay saved me a ton of cash, and was pretty straightforward to use (although I did have to dork around with the laptop in the car for a while). Don't worry about security codes or anything either, the cable can read it.

The second route will probably be your best bet. You can get empty shells off ebay for about $15 . So with both of the "tops" you pop off the vw logo with a screwdriver, it's just glued on. Underneath is a single screw. when you open them up you'll see the blade holder, and on your old key, the little rfid "bullet". So just move that over to the new key, along with the blade. You can either just punch out the pin that holds the blade to the holder, or you can have the blank blade cut. It's maybe a 20 minute job you can do at the kitchen counter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts