VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 jetta diesel with 218,000 miles on it. When i first got the car it started up and ran great, However I noticed it was a little rough such as vibration when coming to a complete stop. If you rev up the RPM's it runs great. It idled great with exception to the vibration of the motor. I'm afraid it is the motor mounts. At least I pray that its the motor mounts. I bought some mounts and I am going to try and attempt to put them in using the Haynes manual.

This does not seem like a hard job to tackle. I have the jacks and a cherry picker motor hoist so im good on that end. My question is "how can I be sure that it is the motor mounts that is allowing the motor to vibrate sometimes or if it is a motor problem causing it to shake?"
Is there another source to look at such as a forum here on my turbo diesel that can show me how to remove and re-install the mounts?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I'm not sure it sounds like your mounts, what sort of vibration are you getting when you stop and is it just at idle and under braking?:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure it sounds like your mounts, what sort of vibration are you getting when you stop and is it just at idle and under braking?:)

welcometomyturbodies
yes it is when braking, and when at just idle.

I can see the motor moving and sort of jumping. I can see the motor?transmission mount jumping around. I would think that it should be more stable in side the mount.

If i give it some gas or idle it up it runs good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

welcometomyturbodies
I also thought that it could be the harmonic balancer, or possibly the timing is off. It has 218,000 miles on it and im sure that it is due for a timing belt.
any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think it's best to wait on somebody with more knowledge on your particular engine, Chitty who runs the site should be on soon but it does sound like there may be something else going on.
Isn't your engine the 1.9 ALH engine? If so it doesn't have the balance shaft but it sounds like you have a rough idle going on and maybe a brake problem if your getting a lot of vibration when braking.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you look at the mk4 alh engine timing belt writeup you'll see how to replace the pass side mount. The transmission removal article shows the dvr side mount. There's also a writeup for the dogbone mount. Could be serp belt tensioner, harmonic balancer, pulley, alt pulley, flywheel. It could also just be normal idle, the TDI isn't as smooth as butter but the engine shouldn't jump around if it's as bad as you say.

also, post moved to mk4 section since it's really specific to mk4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, I didnt think that it should move around either. The motor sounds good and cranks right up. It rvs up great too. No hesistyation at all. I just don like the movement. I notice it after the car has warmed up too, not right off after you start it.

The car has 218,000 miles on it and I know that it is due for some struts and bumpstops. I already have them on order. I just figured that the mounts are out as well being that im seeing so much movement of the motor and transmission. Im thinking of making a recording of it with my phone. Is there a way to post the video here on this site?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts