VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got my first golf , a 2001 MK4 1.4 standard petrol.

I just have a question about the key fob for the alarm and locking/unlocking of the car, My key fobs in very poor condition and I'm looking to either get a replacement fob or a new case that i can take the component out of the old one or something but I'm looking for advise, I've been looking on ebay at fobs which come with uncut keys and new unprogrammed transponders but I'm dont want to have to pay loads to get the key programmed. I also don't want to go to a VW dealer and pay around €200 for a new key and fob.

Here is a picture of the current key and fob

I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if i could get the fob off ebay and program it myself, something like this one ( http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-VOLKSWAGEN-GO...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae17504dc ) or if i could just get a case to put the current fob component in or something?

Thanks

- Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have the required software of equipment to do the thing for the immobiliser :/ Might just have to try take it to a deal to do that :/ Even though if I could find a new casing for the existing remote I'd be happy at this stage

Thanks for the help though!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Can you not buy the key and swap the casing over? Just be careful of the little glass immo chip in the case near where the key comes through.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Is it a separate key and fob? All the keys for cars sold in NA looked like the one you linked to.

Check the frequency of the new vs. old fobs, it should be stamped in the plastic somewhere. And yes you can transfer the chip, just make sure you don't break it because then you can't move hte car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts