VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i need some help i have a 2001 vw jetta wolfs edition 1.8t and i only had one key for it and i let my uncle use it and he lost the key i dont know much about the immoblizer on it so i bought a used key and ignition switch from a pick and pull thinking that it would save me money i installed it and then had the car towed to the dealer they tried to program it but it wont program can i bypass the immoblizer if not does anyone have any ideas thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The price to defeat the immobilizer will cost more than the new key since it requires an ecu flash. First you have to have the metal switchblade part match. The remote fcc number has to be the same for it to unlock the doors. Your 2001 should have immobilizer 2 which means you can use used keys/remotes. If you bought a used key from say, a 2003, it has immobilizer 3 which can only be matched to one car so you can't use used key halfs. The remote half will still work if the fcc number is the same. Read this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-smart-key-remote-replacement.htm it explains more differences and how to get your new key.

·
Registered
37 Posts
VW can get you a key cut to fit your car by VIN #. A cut flip key from my local dealer is about $80. The remote part is separate and also about the same price from the dealer. The remote is not coded to the car, just has to hcve the right FCC number to match the car so it may be findable on eBay or somewhere like that.

The VW dealer here charges $90. to read and encode the key to the car, but you have to tow the car to them. Some locksmiths have that ability too, and may come to you. they may be a cheaper alternative to the dealer, call around and see. Some repair shops have the software to enable keys too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replying i had my car towed back home and i called a mobile locksmith he made a new key and tried to program it and it didnt program either. how do i check to see if the key is getting signal from the antenna? there is two wires that plug into the black plastic piece on the tumbler what do they do should there be power to them i checked with a test light and there was no power i tested with the key off and on also while starting the car no power. one other thing is the radio was stolen after the key was lost dont know if that matters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also the used key and ignition switch came out of the same car as mine the only thing different is it wasnt a wolfs edition

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think that's probably for the alarm or central locking. I'm pretty sure the immobiliser part is in the dash or clocks or something. Did you try what Chitty suggested about getting the right key for the immobiliser? The reason is that there's a small chip in there that deactivates the immobiliser so it has to be the correct type or you'll get nowhere.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

yes i tried that and also the battery died after the keys were lost
Which battery the car or the key? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Slightlyofftopic2 Did you manage to sort out that immobiliser problem of yours Keith? I tried looking for the original post but couldn't find it and I was offline for quite a while.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is the immobolizer light flashing in the cluster at all times the car wont start? If so it is an immo problem. If the light goes out 3 seconds after turning on the ignition the key is recognized and it is not an immo issue..

The radio theft could be related if the thief cut critical wires.

I haven't had much luck encoding used keys to cars in the past. your best bet is to put in the original tumbler assembly and order a new key cut to code from VW and then have it encoded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the light flashes and when the radio got stolen the theif was nice enough to unplug the connectors and I don't have the old tumbler

1 - 11 of 11 Posts