VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

2001 gulf in a box

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Keithuk 
#1 ·
I purchased this 01 Gulf TDI as a box of parts. It’s back together and I am working out the bugs. Runs OK however it has an aftermarket Garret turbo and I am getting overpressure faults as well as (16490 manif/barometric pressure sensor) implausible signal. It’s a new sensor and all the wiring tests OK.
I see on some cars that have modifications to the turbo have some form of pressure regulator dump valve on them to prevent overpressure. Does the ECU not dump the turbo when overpressure happens?
Where do i get a regulator valve to limit the turbo presure.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks to all, just what I was looking for. I have another Gulf and it has one. Works very well just didn’t know where to get another. It looks home built also. The previous owner must be part of your group. I have a new VAG-COM just learning how to work it. I could see the spikes and the turbo was in the box however it is larger than stock. It works great now.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Dennis. welcometomyturbodies

Whats up can't you spell Golf?

VAG Error Code: 16490
EOBD II Error Code: P0106

Fault Location:
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (G71)/Barometric pressure (BARO) sensor (F96) - range/performance problem

Possible Cause:
Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) Triggered on second occurrence.

Intake/Exhaust leak.
Wiring.
Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (G71).
Barometric pressure (BARO) sensor (F96).

Possible Solutions:
Check Engine Control Module (ECM) Software Version.
See Special Notes for Details.
Check Timing.
See Special Notes for Details.
Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96).
Check for Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust.
Check/Replace Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96).
Check/Replace Engine Controle Module.

Special Notes:
On certain smaller Engines we've seen cases where a buggy Engine Control Unit Firmware can cause these fault codes, additionally there are known Problems with the Timing Chain Tensioners which can also result in these fault codes. Please refer to the related TPL/TSB for more instructions.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/index2.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.