VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my water pump bearing blew on my 2001 1.9 tdi, I've taken the covers off as i thought it may have been the Cam belt. My wife was driving at the time but she said there wasn't any load noises when the engine stopped.
The water pump pulley is a mess but the cam belt is still in place. Looks like it caught the belt and stopped it dead!!

Does any one know the best way to check the valves are okay as i don't want to spend a fortune on parts if the engines done in!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hand turn the engine to TDC. If the flywheel mark is good, the injection pump pin can fit or maybe be 1 mm off, and the camshaft marks are good, nothing moved.

Good catch, when was the belt last changed?

Take a look the timing belt ALH engine article for pics of these marks. Whatever engine you have should be similar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the water pump pulley lodging in the belt will stop the engine. You will probably find it is out of time and if it happened @ idle speed and with no noise You may escape with a head gasket and some cam followers. Hydraulic lifters are a little more forgiving than the solids from the old days. I had an '01 that the belt broke at idle and 3 cam followers were totally busted up. All valves were good and the guides were ok also.There was some damage to one of the lifter bores at the very top. It cleaned up well with a hand file, crocus cloth and valve lapping compound. That part took about an hour .... much better than buying a head. Car is still running fine after 30k....
Parts required: 1 head gasket, 3 lifters, 1 cam seal, 1 tube sealer for valve cover ( you can't buy just the gasket... it comes with the cover for a mere 150 bucks) 1 can brake kleen to clean all the crap up.
Time required: about 10 hours total.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts