VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 VW JETTA GLS ...

I crank the car and maybe 3-4 times a month it will shut up and i cant get it cranked until like the fifth or sixth try and sometime i have to crank the car and then slam on the gas to take off driving. I know it is the immobilizer bc the yellow car "security light" falshes. I know it is not the key, b/c I bought a new key and remote from my local VW dealer and had them program it last year. It does the same thing with the original key and the new key. I know the "reader" is in the instrument cluster where abouts is that if I take out the instrument cluster, are there any write ups on that. Also I am looking into just disabling the entire immobilizer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Check out the immobilizer FAQ in the FAQ section1000q. The antenna is in the ignition coil, wire goes back to main harness, up to instrument cluster and ECU.

The cranking thing is unrelated to the immobilizer problem. On car w/activated immobilizer, the car will start just fine on 1st crank but shut off within 1/2 second.

Here is writeup for cluster removal: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/instrument-cluster-remove.htm

It's possible the antenna is bad or has bad wiring. The cranking could be other things. Take the car to Autozone or the like and get it scanned for error codes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts