VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My daughters car just quit running. After trying everything and finding nothing I accidentally figured out it was the @$% RFID chip in the Key fob.
The dealer of course wants $$$$$ to replace the fob and program it.
Is there any way I can just turn off the security system?? I live in a small town with 0 chances of anyone ever stealing the car.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes but it requires a chip flash to delete the system. There are no wires or boxes to remove since it's in the instrument cluster. How did you find out it was the RFID chip? These are very simple and don't usually fail unless they are physically damaged.

If you choose to replace it, check out the mk4 key replacement FAQ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The doors keep locking and unlocking, the trunk keeps popping open (all on it's own) and the car intermittently won't start. The yellow car/key light on the dash doesn't come on. Don't know if that's a sign or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are, but only when the whole thing is messing up.
OK, here's more details: If you turn the key and hold it for a long time, it will start.
When it doesn't start, the trunk won't pop, gas flap won't open, dome lights don't work, windows don't work. Locks work, dashboard lights work.
Intermittently the locks will unlock and lock by themselves and the trunk will pop.

When you do get the car started, then shut it off, there is a weird noise under the dash, the locks will do their thing and the trunk will pop.

I am getting ready to call that Haunted Collector guy from the SciFi Channel.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Almost sounds like a bad confort control module. You can probably do a search on this and find it.
CCM is located under the drives side carpet. Life up the carpet on the driver side, you'll have to remove the side trim to do this. Once you get to a point you can lift one side of the carpet check for water intrution. If you have water or signs of water your ccm is probably shot. Also check wires for corrosion mainly at the splices.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
You might want to contact your VW dealer to see if there is an open recall on the cabin air filter plenum. I remember there being a recall on this due to water intrusion. VW might pay for all the damage if not some of it if the recall is open.

Oh yeah, if you don't see water check the carpet pad to see if it is wet. That is a think pad and will hold a lot of water :eek

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome. As a matter of fact the carpet on the drivers side floor is soaked. Not sure if my daughter left the window open or what. I will check the CCM and let you know. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts