VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm a noob so please forgive me for any ignorance or post ediqute, etc.

I have a 2000 tdi ALH 1.9l and I cannot figure out where the heck the IAT sensor is. I know that it should be on my intake pipe from intercooler but it appears mine is without... I will post a picture of the inter cooler pipe which is IAT/sensor-less after I get back in it.

Either this specific model does not have an IAT or my Jetta has the wrong inter cooler pipe on it from a TDI without an IAT sensor?

Someone please help me. I am losing it searching 2000 Jetta TDI ALH IAT sensor in google.

Thanks,

Nate

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
There are various names for this.

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 (G42) Charge Air Temperature/Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 (G42) Intake Air Temperature Sender (G42)
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 2 (G72)
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 2 (G299)
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 3 (G520)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regardless of what name it has, I can't find it...

Need to double check but in the bentley book it reffers to it as g72 like below.

I have also gathered that it is found on the intake pipe for many alh engines like the second picture below...

My intake is sensor-less without a housing a place for a sensor either. I took bumper (for unrelated deal) off along with intercooler and have not found a sensor down there.

In the first image I see that the g71/g72 are together. Indication that the MAP also has IAT and they are one unit...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well not even, in the illustration picture it even says it is in the air duct pipe from IC. I DONT HAVE IT!

Someone please just tell me that the 2000 jetta TDI does not have one... i'm not sure if there were any gas models non turb jettas that didn't have the IAT, maybe the last owner/shop he brought to just threw on the wrong one and ditched the IAT. I don't flippin get it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

that should be it but it is not on my ic to intake pipe... no spot for it... could it be put somewhere else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you ever figure this out?
Kind of. Think I figured out that the iat sensor is the same as map sensor they are the same thing or a two for one thing.

I have the early 2000 tdi so I think 2001 and later have iat sensors on the intake hard pipe from intercooler. For my tdi and yrs prior they are with the map. On top of intercooler.

Came to that conclusion a while ago and I'm going with for the sake of my sanity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you ever figure this out?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
My Bentley book applies to a number of years and engine codes and I think they done have the diagram in there for my specific year and engine code. Don't remember how I gathered that but I figured that out. No way there is no iat. G71 and 70 are just what I have considered the map g71 on the top of intercooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts