VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is turning over. My car was starting fine a few weeks ago and I noticed that my Glow Plug Warning light was coming on intermittently as I tried to start the car. When the glow plug indicator light came on, the car started right up, when it didn't car just stuttered.

My first impulse was to change the glow plugs. I'm glad that I did. The ones that were in the car were the old ceramic type and in horrible shape. I replaced them and tried to start the car. Still turning over, but not starting.

In an effort to troubleshoot, I removed the temp coolant sensor which is supposed to force glow plugs on (according to FAQ website). Car still will not start.

Next I ordered and replaced Relay 109 and Glow Plug relay (Relay 180). The car still will not start, but is still turning over. The glow plug warning light in the dash is still not coming on either.

I realize after all of this, the problem might be the glow plug harness, but I am reluctant to spend the money based on the fact that the old glow plugs were in such bad shape and when that light in the dash came on, the car started right up. It is a likely suspect in this problem, but I'm open to other ideas. Are there any fuses I should be checking above the battery terminal or elsewhere?? Any other equipment that should be checked?? Also is it possible that the Transmission speed sensor could be keeping it from starting?? I know it working intermittently, but I assumed it couldn't stop it from starting. Outside temp is ok as well in case you wer wondering.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The glow plugs shouldn't have any effect on starting if outside temp is OK. Is the battery strong enough? Is the anti shudder valve open?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The anti shudder valve is at the intake manifold. If it sticks closed the engine won't get air. It's spring loaded so that when the engine shuts down, vacuum sucks it closed. If it doesn't re-open by spring force, it can cause no air condition. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/intake_maniremove.htm here are pics showing it. Move the lever by hand and you should feel it spring open.

Is the fuel gelling due to the cold?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you getting fuel? Try cracking the fuel line-injector union, wrap a rag around them, and see if the rag gets wet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel is not gelling. It's just fine. Actually, it stopped running after the cold temps ended. The injectors are fine. As I said, it started fine when the indicator light on the console for the glow plugs came on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked Anti-shudder valve. it is open and free of soot and dirt. No blockages. Ok, I'll ask another question. If the glow plugs are not functioning, how does enough heat build up in the cylinder to provide ignition??

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It depends how warm it is. At about 40 F I would think that it would at least sputter and misfire. Since you removed the coolant temp sensor plug it should turn the glow plugs to max. Possible another glow plug problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, my bad overlooked that relay 109 was replaced but it can still be a power problem, turn ignition switch to on and wiggle the 109 relay and see if the glow plug light comes on that will tell you the computer is powered. This is how it works ignition switch closes 109 relay ,109 relay powers the computer,comp turns on glow plug light .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts