VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read many of the troubleshooting tips, and even tried to search previous posts. But I'm not sure what matches my problems.

I've been having two-three issues lately. Its a 2003 New Beetle TDI with around 159,000 KM so about 100,000 Miles and an automatic transmission.

First, the car had little to no power. It would change gears late and at higher RPMs and speed than normal.

I have a vag-com cable and the shareware ross-tech software. I received the code:
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68) 03-00 - No Signal

I then had the timing belt done (a little early 157, 998 KM), and I had asked for the Vehicle Speed Sensor to be replaced. It wasn't replaced.

The car continued to do this just after the timing belt was done, then it stopped having that problem.

I then started to have a different issue. After engine start-up and going into drive the car had no power, it would go forward and then after a few moments it would kind of surge and then be fine until the car had to be started again. (I did find something similar to this in my search http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/2003-jetta-doing-funny-acceleration-stuff-5855/). However his was a manual transmission, and I've asked if that person had found a resolution to his problem.

This has been occurring for the past few weeks, and has gotten a little worse lately. But, like I say once the car has given up being cranky it is fine. Over the past few days when I have seen it do this as it does its little surge there's a puff of black smoke out the back.

The third issue is now a starting issue. When I start the car I have to hold the key for a bit while it spits and sputters and eventually gets up to a normal level RPM level, it usually looks just shy of 1000 RPM. I did have the starter replaced with a rebuilt one in December 2010 so presumably it should be ok. When the car does get going there is a lot of black smoke (I think because I have not taken major note of it).

Upon reading and research I've found that some of these issues could be caused by a bad Mass Airflow Sensor, that was replaced in 2006. The other items are air filter and fuel filter. I looked at my air filter last night and its dated Jan 2006, so I'm thinking it was replaced the last time the MAS was replaced...

I suspicion that my fuel filter has not been done since then either.

I want to get this all done, but the shop I go to is very busy at the moment.

I have not had a chance to check for codes yet, but will report back when I have them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another code I have received is this.

17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13) Electrical Fault
P0674 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I had all the glow plugs replaced in the fall of 2010. So, I wonder if this is the relay causing problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked what I could and I'm getting

17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13) Electrical Fault
P0674 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)

I've also attached a PDF of the measuring blocks while sitting at idle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If I'm getting the glow plug error on two cylinders or even different cylinders after I clear the codes, I would suspect the relay.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The GP is not causing the power issues or running issues. More likely than the relay is a bad connection at the GP. It could be as simple as corrosion on the contacts. Worst case, replace the harness (simple cut and solder).

At idle, your EGR % is way, way low. Idle is when EGR is highest so it's normally 50-70%. The label says 40-75% and yours is 4.8%. It can throw off the MAF values since the EGR gases normally displace the intake air. It's possible your EGR system isn't working or is sticking. Do you have bad carbon buildup in the intake? If so, see the FAQ on how to clean it.

Yes you do want to replace the fuel filter but also verify fuel delivery by checking the screen in the fuel tank pickup. The hose there or filter can be clogged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

That helps a lot. I wasn't looking at the labels, just grabbed the info this morning before I went to work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again,

I took my car to the shop that I have been using for some time. Sometimes they are great and can get my car in out; other times they are very busy.

So, it sat there for like 2 weeks before they really did anything with it. I had mentioned the issues with how it ran; gave them codes and asked that they replace the air filter, fuel filter, do an oil change, and change the auto trans filter and fluid. They did all that except the auto trans stuff. Apparently they could not get the fluid.

So, I took the car and it was great. That was until I decided to get a little enthusiastic. It went limp as a I left the lights at an intersection with a slight incline. It kinda got some power back as I drove the rest of the way home.

The car started fine the next morning, I ran some errands and then went home. When I started it to leave the house again it started fine. BUT it would not drive well. It would get to 1500 RPM and about 20 Kph. There was all kinds of black smoke.

I drove approximately 1 KM and then poof a big puff of black smoke. The car then became responsive as normal! I drove right to the shop again.

I spoke with them, and even had their technician go for a short run with me. It did exactly the same thing. He figured it was the Turbo. So, I left the car with them to address this. I went to pick up the car today and had trouble.

I held the key so the glow plugs would engage and do their thing. Even though its summer I figure its best. The car wouldn't start right. It chugged and chugged. I held the key and there was black/white/grey smoke the whole time. I tried again, it did it again.

So, I tried to quickly turn the key to start it, it chugged just a little but it started and got to the 900 or so RPM that would be normal. Odd, but it worked.

Then I tried to drive it. It had no power at all. It wouldn't go beyond about 1500 RPM and 20-30 Kph is the best I could do. Basically not drivable. The engine was very um smooth and quiet compared to what I am normally used to. It also kinda felt like it could cut out at any moment...

Last Friday when I drove the car down the street the shop is located on as I went so far it did the little burst kinda thing with black smoke. Tonight when I did this it would not do it. It would not go poof and start to drive normally. It has been taking longer and longer for this low power instance and the burst of smoke to occur.

Unfortunately it was after close, and Friday evening. So, I have left my car there again.

I'm trying to review all the posts for similar issues and am curious what you guys think...?

I found this post, which sounds similar.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/another-tdi-no-power-4697/

and I've been reviewing this.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/low-power-fix-TDI.htm

I will be speaking with the owner of the shop, probably on Saturday; and for sure on Monday.

I personally think they need to go through the troubleshooting noted on this site and other TDI related sites; however they're too busy at the moment to really put the time into it.

If I had a garage and tools I'd look at this stuff myself.

Any other thoughts or posts to look at would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Did they address the VSS? The fluid can come from any VW dealer or online. You can bring it ot them.

Did you check for boost leaks? They could have not put a hose back right. If you're paying by the hour, have them review the info so that they don't waste their time and money to learn from scratch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did replace a Transmission Speed Sensor.

The part number on the invoice (095927321B) matches this part.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1193180
It indicates that it is located on top of the transaxel.

There is also this part listed on Rock Auto which indicates it is located on the back of the transaxel. They did not replace this.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1186482

The only other ones I see are ABS wheel speed sensors.

Is there another part that should be replaced?

The only codes I received after I took it back the other week were glow plug related and overboost from when it went limp. Presuming what they did this week was stuff with the wastegate on the turbo and the actuator etc. Hopefully it will resolve the limp mode issues.

I may well have to direct them to this web site or print off the troubleshooting info...the paper and ink would be worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to look at my car today before I speak with the shop tomorrow.

I looked at my ASV. It looked like it was open and not closed. So, that may be ceased a bit and causing some of the starting issues. As per other reading I've done that also kind of indicates that the EGR and the intake manifold are clogged with carbon.

I also noticed that the coolant reservoir is practically empty.

Oh my...

·
Registered
42 Posts
When was the last time you changed the air filter & fuel filter? The reason i ask is i've been dealing with a glow plug check engine light for 4 months- If i cycle the ignition only once and start the car, light comes on- random plug code- if i cycle ign twice then start no check engine light. I just replaced both filters, and now no more ck eng light- i'm thinking a partially plugged air filter is slightly affecting the mass air flow senser on startup, thowing a faulse misfire code, or a partially plugged fuel filter affecting initial pressure on startup throwing a faulse code- car runs fine, no loss in mileage(2003 golf tdi) 1200km per tank. Last time i changed both was 40,000 km ago- if your close to that interval they definitely should be changed. I am surprised myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure when the fuel filter had ever been changed, or when the air filter had last been changed. I think it may have been January/February 2006.

Well we've been trying to troubleshoot this starting issue of mine for some time. Through some vacations and other things we FINALLY have some progress!

My car starts and runs mostly normal now.

They adjusted/cleaned the VNT actuator. Which didn't do it.

They then tried a Mass Airflow Sensor and also what they referred to as a throttle body. I believe they were referring to what I've seen listed as the EGR valve on parts web sites for this vehicle.

These did not correct the issue.

What finally did correct it, was cleaning the intake.

I drove the car for an hour or so this evening. It still does not seem quite the same as before. I'm finding a lack of power (limp mode) often when leaving an intersection.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to make them.

I will see how it operates tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts