VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beyond the obvious fuel type and the $4500 difference in the base price, what are the differences between the gasser Golf and the TDI. I know that the TDI gets a "performance" setup, complete with 225/45/17 wheels. I also believe that the TDI get an upgrade touch-screen radio (accessory?) controller. What are the other differences? Spoke with the dealer today who only had the gasser to look at (and that only arrived this week), but he was not exactly clued in on the details. Anyone got the straight dope?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
RCD 510 touchscreen 6cd in dash radio vs. standard radio.

foglights, bluetooth , ipod connector, floormats, leather multifunction steering wheel, leather shifter/parking brake handle, and armrest.

And as you mentioned, sport suspension/17" wheels/sport seats (not GTI seats).

These are the only differences other than engine.

See the Golf buyer's guide for more details. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1800

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a good side-by-side on the VW USA site. They call out the bluetooth as "standard" on the TDI, but it shows up as an option (+$199) on all the pricing sites. Some have this listed as a "required option", but an add option nonetheless, which means that the bluetooth is NOT included in the base unit price. ???????

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Bluetooth is included on VW website's base price. They have it as a "forced option" so if you go to another site which lists the price, add $199. Then you'll get to VW website base price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you do the math, you save about $500 in taxes because of the sales tax deduction or 6-7% if you live in CT. Then $1300 or $1700 in taxes assuming you have at least that much federal income tax liability. So if you want a 2 door, the base price for the 2.5 is $17,490 vs. $22,189 for the TDI. Minus $500 and $1300, that's a difference of about $3000 for the TDI over the 2.5. If you can take advantage of all the tax credit and have an exemption on the sales tax or your state has no sales tax on the TDI, the actual price of the 2.5 is $18,540 after tax vs. $22,189 for the TDI so the actual price difference is about $2350 for all that stuff like suspension, engine, foglights, wheels, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
RCD 510 touchscreen 6cd in dash radio vs. standard radio.

foglights, bluetooth , ipod connector, floormats, leather multifunction steering wheel, leather shifter/parking brake handle, and armrest.

And as you mentioned, sport suspension/17" wheels/sport seats (not GTI seats).

These are the only differences other than engine.

See the Golf buyer's guide for more details. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1800
I picked up my Golf TDI DSG on Saturday and the booklet they included in the manual is for the old radio, not the RCD 510 touchscreen. Any ideas where I could pick this up somewhere? PDF or something?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts